Tuesday, October 21, 2014

It takes a village to raise a writer

What a week! Critique partners Faith Pray and Jennifer Mann each gave me beautiful direction, for which I'm grateful, early in the week. Thursday night, I zipped over to Seattle Pacific University where Writers House agent Brianne Johnson kicked off the first of this season's SCBWI Western Washington Professional Series Meetings. She returned Friday for manuscript consultations and a delicious, detail-rich talk about writing middle-grade novels. Then, as if my brain wasn't full enough, Field's End hosted bestselling author Ann Hood who shared concrete revision tips at her Saturday lecture, titled "How to be Your Own Best Editor."

Now I need to process and start mining it all as I dig back into my manuscript. I am fired up, bloggy friends! Time to write!

How about you? Has a critique partner, a class, a conference, a workshop, or a book on craft recently given you major help or inspiration? Do tell! Feel free to give a shout-out to your critique partners!


*I should note that if you ever have the opportunity to hear either Brianne Johnson or Ann Hood speak, leap on it!

10 comments:

Steven J. Wangsness said...

I tend to be a loner so avoid classes, conferences and other large gatherings of people. However, I did have a couple of very good critique partners who helped me along when I was writing Tainted Souls. (New Amazon Kindle royalty payment on the way -- probably about $0.10 like the last one.) ANYway, a good critique from someone you respect can really be helpful.

Dawn Simon said...

Steven, good critiques are soooo helpful! YAY for the critique partners who helped you with your book! Maybe I should have titled my post "It takes a village to raise me." Hee!

Lynda R Young said...

oh, Have fun digging back into the manuscript. May your adjustments go smoothly!

Jemi Fraser said...

Finding my crit buddies (Jean Oram & Cali Mackay) was the BEST thing that ever happened to me in my writing journey. It still amazes me how far they've dragged me along :)

Dawn Simon said...

Thank you, Lynda!

Jemi, woo-hoo! Great crit partners are priceless! I'm sure they're uber-lucky to have you, too!

While we're giving shout-outs, I'd also like to give one to my other critique partner, Margaret Nevinski! We didn't exchange pages last week, but she helps me all the time too. She and I went to most of the events I mentioned together.

Faith Pray said...

It's an honor to be part of your village, Dawn. Your humor, insight and writing know-how are a delight to read and learn from. Have fun mining through those great writing talks and tips!

Medeia Sharif said...

My critique group has done wonders for my writing. They've really helped me grow over the years.

Dawn Simon said...

Thank you so much, Faith! I love being on this journey with you! Thank you for sharing your wisdom and your heart. Also, I can't wait to see what happens next in your beautiful book!

Medeia, that's wonderful! I'm glad you have such a great group! It's true: strong critique partners really help us grow.

DMS said...

How awesome that you have such great critique partners. I write with a co-author and it is so helpful to hear her feedback and thoughts. I have been inspired by the writing conferences I have gone to and have learned things that made me make changes to my ms. Fellow writers have also read my ms and gave me helpful feedback. Thank goodness we have people to help us along the way. :)

~Jess

Dawn Simon said...

Hi, Jess! I think it's so cool that you have a co-author! The writing community is amazing, isn't it? I can't thank my critique partners enough. Their help and encouragement are *priceless* to me. SCBWI is huge to me as well.