Saturday, February 22, 2014

Checking In

I'm eyebrow-deep in revision, which might be my favorite part of writing. The clay is on the wheel, and everything feels a bit less like I'm running a marathon. (Note: I've never run a marathon, but I have run a 5K. It's practically the same thing, right? Who's with me? We can discuss it over donuts!) I'm still running now, but it's different--less of a sprint since I'm moving more carefully. Decisions need to be made, and I can no longer say I'm in the sh**ty first draft. I'm adding, rearranging, cutting.

I came across an excellent post on revision by Randy Powell. It's from 2009, but that's okay. Good writing posts, much like Twinkies, don't have a shelf life. I suggest you check it out if you're revising, or read and bookmark it, if you're not.

Have fun, bloggy friends who are in NYC right now for the SCBWI Winter Conference! I'm missing this one, but I'm all signed up for the SCBWI-Western Washington conference in April. Yee-haw!

How about you? What part of the writing process are you in right now?


Here's Thistle, sleeping with his mouth open. All of this talk about running has exhausted him.



14 comments:

Barb Davis-Pyles said...

I'm in the muddy middle of a revision as well! My goal is to get it done before April's conference (Yay! I'm going this year!). Well, Dawn, I have run a marathon -- trust me, it's EXACTLY like a 5K... except for the part where two of your toenails pop off at mile 25 (true story). Other than that, no difference whatsoever. ;)

Dawn Simon said...

Good for you, shooting to have your WIP finished by the conference! Such great timing! And I'm happy I'll get to see you there! :)

Ee-gads, Barb, popping toenails?! Shiver me timbers! Still, glad to know that's the only difference!

Theresa Milstein said...

Since I don't run, it's all impressive to me.

Good luck with your writing. I'm doing a number of writing related tasks now: writing a rough draft, revising something else, querying another project.

Dawn Simon said...

Theresa, you're smart to have other projects going while you query! I wish you luck! Go, Theresa!

Cherie Reich said...

Good luck with your revisions!

For me, I'm in the proofreading stages for one book and the first draft stages for a novel and a novella.

Dawn Simon said...

Thank you, Cherie! Good luck polishing up that manuscript and working through your first drafts!

I'd like to remind everyone to pace themselves. I hear body pieces start falling off at mile 25. ;)

Saumya said...

Thanks for sharing the link and your post is so motivating and inspiring! good luck and can't wait to see how it goes!

Dawn Simon said...

Thank you, Saumya!

Medeia Sharif said...

I have two drafts going on while I'm waiting on edits for some books coming out this year.

Happy writing! I love revising.

Dawn Simon said...

SOME books coming out this year! I love it!

Good luck with your projects, Medeia!

Theresa Milstein said...

Thanks. Sometimes I feel like I'm spread out too much!

Theresa Milstein said...

I'm just starting a revision now, so I'll check out the post. I think I like writing rough drafts better because nothing is "broken" yet.

Dawn Simon said...

Hi, Theresa! I like that about first drafts, too. Sometimes I crave the freedom of a blank page. Still, nowadays I usually prefer revising. Congrats again on the new job! You'll be great! :)

Romance Book Haven said...

Good luck with your revisions!