Sunday, February 24, 2013

Great book alert!

Have you read DEVINE INTERVENTION by Martha Brockenbrough? Oh, my gosh! What a fun read!


DEVINE INTERVENTION
(Arthur A. Levine Books, June 2012)


Let me share some cool things about Martha before I tell you about her book! In addition to being an author and a mom, she's a freelance writer and a blogger (her own blog, SCBWI Team Blog, and the Society for the Promotion of Good Grammar blog). Something great about her is how supportive and encouraging she is to other writers, whether aspiring authors or published. Martha founded National Grammar Day and the Society for the Promotion of Good Grammar. (Note: National Grammar Day is coming up on March 4!) She is hilarious! She has a grammar book, THINGS THAT MAKE US [sic], which she says is "funny and slightly naughty." Her picture book, THE DINOSAUR TOOTH FAIRY, will be coming out in summer 2013. Also, she has really cute taste in clothes.


Now on to the book! Here's the flap copy:

There is a great legend of the guardian angel who traveled on handsome wings across time and space for the human girl he loved, slaying those who would threaten her with a gleaming sword made of heavenly light.

This is not that story.

Jerome Hancock is Heidi Devine's guardian angel. Sort of. He's more of an angel trainee, in heaven's soul-rehabilitation program for wayward teens. And he's just about to get kicked out for having too many absences and for violating too many of the Ten Commandments for the Dead.

Heidi, meanwhile, is a high school junior who dreams of being an artist, but has been drafted onto her basketball team because she's taller than many a grown man. For as long as she can remember, she's heard a voice in her head--one that sings Lynyrd Skynyrd, offers up bad advice, and yet is company during those hours she feels most alone.

When the unthinkable happens, these two lost souls must figure out where they went wrong and whether they can make things right before Heidi's time is up and her soul is lost forever.

Martha Brockenbrough's debut novel is hilarious, heartbreaking, and hopeful, with a sense of humor that's wicked as hell, and writing that's just heavenly.


I love Martha's writing voice! DEVINE INTERVENTION is told through Jerome's first-person and Heidi's third-person points of view, and it's very well-crafted. As a reader, I could tell immediately I was in the hands of a professional storyteller and relax into the journey. Both of the main characters wiggled into my heart right away, and I enjoyed reading each one's chapters. Martha nailed the male and female perspectives. Also, her sense of humor shines consistently throughout the entire book.

I recommend DEVINE INTERVENTION.

* * *

Here are a couple other reviews:

"Frequently hysterical . . . devastatingly honest writing that surprises with its occasional beauty and hits home with the keenness of its insight."

--Kirkus Reviews, starred review


"So much fun. . . an insightful story about seizing life for all it's worth while you have the chance."

--Publishers Weekly

6 comments:

Barb Davis-Pyles said...

Oh, a must-read for me! Thanks so much for the recommendation. Also, thanks for the Grammar Day heads-up. I will be sure to write extra slooowly such that I am not ticketed by those pesky grammar police.

Dawn Simon said...

Hi Barb, you'll love the book! You cracked me up with your grammar police comment. "I'm sorry, officer. I had no idea I was writing with an open container of dangling modifiers."

Medeia Sharif said...

Thanks for sharing this with us. I put it on my wish list.

Kjersten said...

I loved Martha's book! Can't wait to see the Dinosaur Tooth fairy one...

Margaret Nevinski said...

Thanks, Dawn. This sounds like a great read to put on my list.

Dawn Simon said...

Medeia and Margaret, you guys will love it!

Kjersten, I want to see THE DINOSAUR TOOTH FAIRY, too!