Sunday, November 18, 2012

The Classics

ANNA KARENINA is now in select theaters, and the trailer is beautiful. I can't see the movie yet, though. I'm reading the book for the first time.


I'm at the part where--Nah, I won't say. No spoilers here! I'll just tell you I'm about 3/4 of the way through the novel, and I'm looooving it!

I've been treating myself to other classics lately, too. I go through phases where I especially crave them and feel nourished by them. I suppose it's ironic that old stories make my writing spirit feel new again. In talking with other writers, however, I'm not alone in this. It makes sense: the classics have withstood the test of time for a reason. Maps change, wars begin and end, languages evolve, technology improves, and we can feel so far from the world as it was in the times of, say, Shakespeare, Austen, Dickens, Tolstoy, Twain, or Fitzgerald. Yet...the human heart remains the same, and a good story is a good story.

How about you? Do you often read or reread the classics? What feeds your writing spirit?

6 comments:

Steven J. Wangsness said...

I like to re-read some classics from time to time, though my "classical" choices tend to be 20th century ones, like Ulysses or Animal Farm. I tackle War and Peace now and again but never get past page 20. Never took a whirl at Anna Karenina.

Rachel Searles said...

I haven't read any in a while, but I love the classics as well. Lately I've been feeling like re-reading some Bronte sisters. And I think that Anna Karenina movie looks gorgeous!

Angelina C. Hansen said...

Since my local library is slim, I have a feeling I'll be going back to the classics this winter. ^_^

Margaret Nevinski said...

ANNA KARENINA is among my top-ten favorite novels, and I completely agree about reading the classics to renew our writing spirit. This fall I reread NORTHANGER ABBEY and SENSE AND SENSIBILITY when I went to England, and it was like discovering Jane Austen all over again. And discovering more about myself as a writer and reader.

Barb Davis-Pyles said...

What a "classic" coincidence, Dawn -- I'm in the middle of reading Shakespeare's sonnets, and next week my family will be doing the annual reread of A Christmas Carol. You are so right about that nourishing feeling!

Medeia Sharif said...

I read classics by teaching them, but I seriously want to get back into reading them for pleasure. I did most of my classics reading during college and I miss those books.