Saturday, September 8, 2012

PICKLE Launch Party

Hellooo, bloggy friends! How the heck are ya? I hope everyone had a nice summer. I did! And now it's already September! While I get a bit blue about my kids going back to school each year, a piece of me craves the more structured days and the rhythm of fall. Funny thing is, it now truly feels like summer in Seattle. The sunshine took its time getting here, but it was worth the wait!

But enough about that. Let's jump right into things!


PICKLE
by Kim Baker, illustrated by Tim Probert
Roaring Brook Press/Macmillan Children's
 

September 4 was the release day of Kim Baker's middle grade novel, PICKLE: THE (FORMERLY) ANONYMOUS PRANK CLUB OF FOUNTAIN POINT MIDDLE SCHOOL. She had an uber-fun launch party Tuesday night at Secret Garden Books, and the place was packed with SCBWI-ers. Something extra special for me was I went with my husband, Jim, and he was able to meet oodles of SCBWI friends. I must have smiled for hours afterward, electrified by the energy of all those cool-as-a-cucumber (Get it? Cucumber? Pickle? Oh, it loses something when you point it out. Note to self: Don't do this in manuscripts!) writing and illustrating people, most of whom I hadn't seen all summer.
 
Kim's a friend and one of our Co-Regional Advisors, so we're all spoiled by her wit and talents on a regular basis. It was a great night, celebrating Kim and her debut novel!
 
 
 
This is Kim with author Martha Brockenbrough.
 
 
 
 
 
Here Martha and I display our brand-spankin'-new books!
 
I look forward to reading Kim's novel!
 
* * *
 
*PICKLE is a Junior Library Guild Selection.
 
*"Sure to please anyone with a puckish sense of humor..."
                                           -Kirkus Reviews
 
 
In the comments, I'd love to hear any updates or news you might have. Or tell me something about your summer! Also, what are you reading?

11 comments:

Angelina C. Hansen said...

My summer was full of reading and writing and hiking. Now it's all about moving to Colorado. So exciting! I've still been reading and writing a bit. THE HERO'S GUIDE TO SAVING THE KINGDOM was a fun one I read last week. I'm reading a couple of grown-up books this week. Not half the fun! Must get my paws on PICKLE soon. ^_^

Dawn Simon said...

Hi, Angelina! What a great summer! :) We'll miss you in Washington, but I'm happy for you about the move. THE HERO'S GUIDE TO SAVING THE KINGDOM sounds super fun! Enjoy PICKLE! I will, too!

Barb Davis-Pyles said...

Hi Dawn! I can't wait to pucker up with a PICKLE! It looks like the launch party was a whole peck of fun -- sorry to have missed it. Happy fall (er...Seattle summer)!

Kim Baker said...

Thank you so much for posting about the launch party, Dawn! It was so nice to see you, and to meet Jim! And I love the pics! Thanks for sharing!

Medeia Sharif said...

Congrats to Kim on her release and welcome back.

I did quite a bit of reading and writing, but I ended up back at work a few weeks ago.

Dawn Simon said...

Barb, very cute! This morning it felt a bit more like fall, didn't it? I hope I'll get to see you at the meeting this week!

Kim, I'm happy to spread the word about your book! We're all so excited for you! Jim and I had a great time at the party, and we brought home a Twinkie-pickle for our son. :) Thank YOU for a great night--plus I have my own copy of PICKLE, which is at the top of my TBR pile!

Medeia, thanks! It's great that you got lots of writing done this summer. I knew you would!

Al said...

I've been enduring a cold wet winter down this way!
I never seem to read anything except research for my WIP.

Dawn Simon said...

Al, I hope things warm up soon down there! We're still having sunshine (yay!), but it rained all night a couple evenings after I put up my post. I was afraid I'd cursed us. ;)

Sharon K. Mayhew said...

I don't have any news....but I had an awesome summer.

Kim's book sounds really cute. :)

Steven J. Wangsness said...

I read Michael Chabon's excellent new novel, Telegraph Avenue, and review it in the Washington (DC) Independent Review of Books, http://tinyurl.com/8qal5lu

Dawn Simon said...

Sharon, I'm glad you had an awesome summer. :) I'm finishing A TALE OF TWO CITIES, but Kim's book is next!

Steven, cool that you wrote a review for it!