Saturday, May 5, 2012

Conference Bonus a la Kevan

As many of you already know, Kevan Atteberry rocks. He has illustrated award-winning books like

FRANKIE STEIN by Lola M. Schaefer

and

TICKLE MONSTER by Josie Bissett.

In addition to being an illustrator, he's a writer, a graphic designer, and a Flash animator. Best of all? He's a really nice person.

Kevan sometimes posts pictures of his art on Facebook, much to the delight of his friends. In February, he posted a piece I knew my teenage daughter would love. Knew. So I called her to the computer.

She was like, "Aaaah!! I want that for my wall!!"

I should probably tell you my daughter really likes pigeons. When we went to NYC a few years ago, she named the pigeons she came across. Kevan's picture has adorable pigeons in it, and they're eating candy hearts a man is feeding them. It's fabulous! It makes me want to know all about the man in the picture. I want to see the scenes that led up to that moment and where he'll go next. It's one of those pictures you feel in your heart. And my daughter loved it.

Fast forward a couple months to the SCBWI Western Washington Conference in April. My friend Barb and I were talking with Kevan, and I told him about my daughter's reaction to that picture.

Guess what!

Kevan said he had a copy of it with him at the conference, and my daughter could have it!! 

Super excited, I thanked him like crazy--and immediately asked if he'd sign it, too. (Note: I'm not normally a give-me-an-inch-and-I'll-take-a-mile kind of gal, but can you imagine what a cool gift that would be for the girl who wanted it on her wall? And to have it signed by Kevan?!)

When we bumped into each other the next day, he brought it to me! Looky, looky, looky!

© K.J. Atteberry, used with permission

The first thing I did when I got home from the conference was give the picture to my daughter. She was sooo excited! We're going to frame it and get it where it belongs: on her wall!

Thank you, Kevan!!

* * *

You can learn more about Kevan and his many talents at his website! A little bird told me (maybe it was a pigeon!) he'll soon have a blog there as well!

14 comments:

Barb Davis-Pyles said...

YAY!!! So glad to get to see the picture -- I remember the entire amazing conversation! Kevan is the BEST -- no, the BESTEST BEST -- with a heart as big as the moon!

Dawn Simon said...

I love it, Barb! And I agree: Kevan is incredible!

tinahoggatt said...

Love this story, Dawn. It shows so beautifully the generous spirit of community in this group of creative people - and also the depth of awesome in Kevan!

Dawn Simon said...

Tina, I was also thinking about how giving this community is. I feel so fortunate to be a part of it.

Sharon K. Mayhew said...

That is so cool! Kevan's art is wonderful. :D

Medeia Sharif said...

His art is awesome.

I'm fond of pigeons too. I've never named them, though.

Hema P. said...

That is so cool! Love the picture!

Angelina C. Hansen said...

Kevan is a beautiful human and artist.

Caryn Caldwell said...

Oh, my gosh! What a story! And thanks for posting about Tickle Monster. I hadn't heard of it, but my daughter loves to be tickled, and the reviews are amazing, so I think you just sold me on one of his books!

Faith Pray said...

I love this story. Kevan Atteberry is awesome! And we love Tickle Monster over here!

Amy L. Sonnichsen said...

Wow, how awesome! He's so talented! And how sweet of him to give that to your daughter. LOVE it. :)

Dawn Simon said...

Thanks for all the great comments! Caryn, I'm glad you and your daughter will soon be enjoying TICKLE MONSTER! :) I love it when I discover a book that was written or illustrated by someone I know is a fabulous person. Makes it all the better, you know?

Dawn Simon said...

P.S. - Thank you again, Kevan! Your wonderful gift is now framed! :) Hugs to you, my friend.

Old Kitty said...

Thank you to the intro and review of this trilogy! Sounds amazing and with book covers to drool over! Yay!!!

Take care
x