Sunday, May 20, 2012

The Abandon Trilogy

Have any of you read Meg Cabot's UNDERWORLD?

UNDERWORLD
Point, an imprint of Scholastic Inc.
Release date: May 8, 2012

It's the second book in the Abandon Trilogy. I need to pick up a copy! Soon!

I've been a Meg Cabot fan for years. For a while there, I had an addiction to the Princess Diaries series. You know how certain books make you extra eager to work on your manuscript? Books by Meg Cabot and my friend Suzanne Selfors often have that effect on me. They fire me up and get me in the mood to write.

That's how it was with ABANDON, book #1 in Cabot's trilogy.

ABANDON
Point, an imprint of Scholastic Inc.
Release date: April 26, 2011

I received the ARC from the publisher last year. Once I cracked it open, I couldn't put it down. I read it quickly, and--though our plots are very different--a few things I'd been contemplating in my own work-in-progress became clearer to me. Reading ABANDON fed something in me at a time when I needed energizing and to believe in my own gut instincts about my manuscript.

Here's the blurb:

Pierce knows what it's like to die, because she's done it before.

Though she tries returning to the life she knew before the accident, Pierce can't help but feel at once a part of this world, and apart from it. Yet she's never alone...because someone is always watching her. Escape from the realm of the dead is impossible when someone there wants you back.

But now she's moved to a new town. Maybe at her new school, she can start fresh. Maybe she can stop feeling so afraid.

Only she can't. Because even here, he finds her. That's how desperately he wants her back. She knows he's no guardian angel, and his dark world isn't exactly heaven, yet she can't stay away...especially since he always appears when she needs him most.

But if she lets herself fall any further, she may just find herself back in the one place she fears: the Underworld.

The myth of Persephone...darkly reimagined.


Something I appreciate is the Meg Cabot-ness of the whole thing. She has such a great voice. A couple years ago, I heard an editor refer to a writer's voice as his or her "authorial fingerprint." Isn't that an awesome way to describe voice? To me, Meg Cabot's authorial fingerprint is golden. I mean, here we are, dealing with the Underworld--a dark, dangerous, seriously frightening place--and Meg Cabot manages to add humor. Even though there's growing tension keeping the reader flipping pages, the journey is fun. Totally my kind of read! I loved it! The characters, the setting...I enjoyed it all.

Now I'm dying to read UNDERWORLD--pun intended on the dying, of course.

How about you? Is there a series or trilogy you're currently reading? What authors get you in the mood to write?

14 comments:

Stephanie Thornton said...

I love the current trend of re-imagining Greek myths. And those covers are great!

I'm looking forward to some great reading on my upcoming trip. Until then, more writing!

Laura Pauling said...

The first book is at our library, I should check it out. I think I got burned out on the Greek mythology stories. Esp. Persephone. There's been a lot of them! Glad you enjoyed it.

Steven J. Wangsness said...

To carry on with the Greek theme, I'm actually re-reading Homer's Iliad at the moment, so I guess that counts as a series, with the Odyssey and all...

Barb Davis-Pyles said...

I'll have to check out this series. Thanks for the tip, Dawn. Right now I'm rereading the "How to Train Your Dragon" series by Cressida Cowell as inspiration for my middle grade novel revision.

Kari Marie White said...

Wow, these both have lovely covers. I haven't read anything of Meg Cabot's yet. I think you've just recommended my next library reserve.

Amy L. Sonnichsen said...

You know, now that you mention it, I'm not really a series reader. I usually read the first one of series and don't continue. *hangs head* Most of the books I read stand alone. Kind of weird, huh?

But these sound great!

Dawn Simon said...

Stephanie, CONGRATULATIONS on your book deal!!! Sooo exciting!!!

Laura, I really enjoyed it!

Steven, very cool! Wow!

Hi, Barb! I never read the How to Train Your Dragon books! What a compliment to the author that you're rereading the series! I should try them. Good luck with the revision!

Kari, aren't the covers beautiful? Fun that you're checking out Meg Cabot! Enjoy! :)

Amy, I'm often like that, too! I want to read so many books that I often end up sampling, trying the first books in a series. There are certain series I become addicted to, though, and this is one.

Faith Pray said...

Dawn, I couldn't put "Abandon" down! It was addicting, in a good way. It totally made me want to write like that! Well, I mean, it made me want to write with such a richness, a steady, well-thought-out, gripping, strength of character way. I finished that novel going, "Wow. She REALLY knows what she's doing and she's clued in." I'd better go find the next book!

Dawn Simon said...

Faith, yes! And she makes it look effortless. So impressive!

Angelina C. Hansen said...

Ally Carter and her GALLAGHER GIRL series always gets me excited. ^_^

Janet S. said...

Just finished "Underworld." It's as easy a read as "Abandon" and I'm sure you will enjoy it. I definitely can't wait for the third book . . . now I'm off to read the final book in the Sister's Grimm series.

Medeia Sharif said...

I love Meg Cabot. I have Abandon, but haven't read it yet.

I recently read the Ruined trilogy by Simone Elkeles. It was amazing. Since I write contemporary YA, it was right up my alley.

Dawn Simon said...

Hi, Angelina! I think I should try that series!

Janet, I'm glad to hear you enjoyed it!

Medeia, I read about them at your blog! They sound really interesting!

J.L. Campbell said...

I have Abandon, but haven't read it yet. Now that you remind me about it, I read Hex Hall and the one after that. I must check out the third book.