Sunday, April 15, 2012

What's Hot at Eagle Harbor Book Company

I met once again with bookseller Victoria Irwin to find out which YA and children's books are currently selling well at Eagle Harbor Book Company. As I've mentioned in earlier posts, Eagle Harbor Book Company is an awesome independent bookstore here in Washington.

Always helpful and friendly, Victoria was happy to share EHBC's top ten children's and YA titles from last week. Here she is displaying one of the books from the list, TO CATCH A MERMAID by Suzanne Selfors.

In the photo, she's also holding a black toy bird from the children's section. I still, by the way, think Victoria the Bookseller should be an action figure. The toy bird could be one of her many accessories!


Now to the list!


THE HUNGER GAMES by Suzanne Collins




CATCHING FIRE (Hunger Games #2) by Suzanne Collins




MOCKINGJAY (Hunger Games #3) by Suzanne Collins




MONSTER by Walter Dean Myers




TIME CAT: THE REMARKABLE JOURNEYS OF JASON AND GARETH by Lloyd Alexander




KINGDOM KEEPERS #1: DISNEY AFTER DARK by Ridley Pearson




THE DUCKLING GETS A COOKIE!? by Mo Willems




SCORPIA RISING (Alex Rider #9) by Anthony Horowitz




TO CATCH A MERMAID by Suzanne Selfors




THE EXTRAORDINARY EDUCATION OF NICHOLAS BENEDICT (The Mysterious Benedict Society) by Trenton Lee Stewart, illustrated by Diana Sudyka




Thank you, Victoria, for taking the time to help me!


Have you read anything wonderful lately? What was it?
A great book I just finished was INSIDE OUT & BACK AGAIN by Thanhha Lai. So beautiful and poignant! I loved it!

Please note: I won't be posting next weekend because I'll be at SCBWI Western Washington's annual writers' conference. I'll see you the next week, though! Happy writing!

7 comments:

Heather said...

I love indie bookstores, they're so fun and supportive! I'm reading Tears of the Broken by A.M. Hudson and it's lovely, excellent character development!

Dawn Simon said...

Heather, TEARS OF THE BROKEN sounds really good! I love indies, too. Our Advisory Committee always invites an indie bookseller to speak at our monthly SCBWI meetings, showing what is currently popular. It's cool.

With three books by Suzanne Collins and one by Suzanne Selfors, I just realized 40% of this list was written by a Suzanne. Maybe to be successful, I need to write under the name Suzanne Simon--or J.K. Simon. Wee-hee-hee! OR maybe I should quit playing with names and get back to my chapter?! Crazy enough it might just work...

Angelina C. Hansen said...

I've been binging on historical fiction now that I've sent my own off to agent lady. Haven't read anything I've fallen in love with yet, but INSIDE OUT & BACK AGAIN is nearing the top of my pile. Can't wait!!!

Barb Davis-Pyles said...

Thanks for the great info, Dawn! See you at the conference! :)

Dawn Simon said...

Angelina, I bet you'll love it! I, by the way, still think it's fun that we met in NYC even though we're in the same region!

You're welcome, Barb! See you soon!!

Medeia Sharif said...

It's interesting to see what's selling.

I really enjoyed Tranha Lai's book.

Have a great time at the conference!

Caryn Caldwell said...

What a great idea for a post! I noticed that many of the books on the list are older. Kind of refreshing to see that they have such staying power.