Sunday, March 4, 2012

Five Things That Made Me Smile in February

1. When my husband went on a business trip to Egypt, he found time to visit pyramids,


buy me a necklace that has my name written in hieroglyphs,



and get special gifts for the kids! The pashmina I photographed my necklace on was a gift he bought for my daughter. (While he came back almost two weeks ago, I didn't blog last weekend because I just wanted to chill with him whenever we had a free moment.)


2. I won two blog contests! Thank you,
Stephanie Thornton and Amy Sonnichsen, for the fabulous prizes!

3. We attended an event that featured one act plays written, directed, and performed by high school students. There were also students singing, playing music, and working behind the scenes. One of the plays was written by my daughter, and it was extremely cool to see teen actors in the roles she had written. (Note: She had no help from me. I didn't even read her play until it had already been submitted.) Sooo many talented young adults! They blew me away.


4. When my husband was away, my son helped me with a difficult project that I couldn't complete on my own. I will forever remember my son's kindness and maturity. It was one of those moments when you see the man your teen is becoming, and your heart swells up inside your chest even faster than the Grinch's.


5. I earned my teaching credential back in college, but that was in California and we now live in Washington. I'm in the process of getting my teaching certificate up here. The last step was an endorsement test. I studied and studied and studied (with help from my kids), and I took the test in February. Now I have
more writing time!! I plan to start subbing in the fall so I can have a job that allows me to set aside days to write and attend critique group meetings. Plus, I'll get to hang out with kids and keep up with their interests as my own children grow.
Yay!

How about you? What has made you smile lately?

Update: Medeia Sharif is giving away a copy of BEWITCHING by Alex Flinn at her blog. The contest ends March 6th. You can check it out here!

12 comments:

Amy L. Sonnichsen said...

You're welcome! I hope you like the book! :)

I didn't know you were a teacher. Congratulations on getting your teaching certificate again. Subbing is a great idea ... sounds perfect.

Laura Pauling said...

congrats on teaching! I'm sure you'll love it. And I'd love to visit the pyramids. :)

Steven J. Wangsness said...

My daughter said something fetchingly funny the other night and that reminded me how happy I am to have my two kids.

Yikes, that sounds maudlin. (Oh, well, you can't run from the truth.)

Angelina C. Hansen said...

This post warmed my heart, Dawn. Thanks for sharing that bundle of encouragement.

I subbed High School when I lived in Las Vegas. Wish I still had that option. All they required there was a bachelor's degree. Didn't matter what sort. No certification.

February took me on a road trip to celebrate my parents 50th wedding anniversary with my siblings and nephews at a gorgeous beach house on the Oregon Coast.

Dawn Simon said...

Thank you, Amy! :)

Laura, I'd love to visit the pyramids!

Steven, kids rock, don't they?

Angelina, happy anniversary to your parents!! And the Oregon Coast is so beautiful!

Faith Pray said...

Dawn, what a month of delights! I love hearing about your daughter's writing success. It sounds like it was a really special event! Great job on the teaching certificate! It sounds like an excellent plan!

Medeia Sharif said...

Thanks for the linkage. :)

What great things. They would make me smile, too.

Congrats on the prizes. Yay for writing time.

Ghenet Myrthil said...

That's so cool that your husband got to visit the Pyramids. Congrats on your new teaching gig!

Sharon K. Mayhew said...

It sounds like you've had a lovely month.

Very cool photo of your hubby! I'd love to go to Egypt.

Old Kitty said...

Your name in heiroglyphics! How wonderful!! Glad that Egypt seems settled now after the chaos of last year! It's such a beautiful place too! Thanks for sharing these gorgeous pics! Congrats with winning!! Yay! Take care
x

Dawn Simon said...

Thank you, Faith! It really was a special event!

Glad I made you smile, Medeia! :)

Sharon, I'd love to go to Egypt, too! I kept looking at a map when he was away, amazed he was really there!

Old Kitty, thanks! He came home with so many cool photos! He even took a picture of a Starbucks for me! ;)

Life 101 said...

I interviewed a 95 year-old woman last year and her father, who was a corporate attorney, sent her little figurines carved out of bone, they he got from one of the pyramids in Egypt.
I'm sure that would be illegal these days.
I'd love to get my wife one of those necklaces.

I'm a new follower.
R