1. When my husband went on a business trip to Egypt, he found time to visit pyramids,
buy me a necklace that has my name written in hieroglyphs,
and get special gifts for the kids! The pashmina I photographed my necklace on was a gift he bought for my daughter. (While he came back almost two weeks ago, I didn't blog last weekend because I just wanted to chill with him whenever we had a free moment.)
2. I won two blog contests! Thank you, Stephanie Thornton and Amy Sonnichsen, for the fabulous prizes!
3. We attended an event that featured one act plays written, directed, and performed by high school students. There were also students singing, playing music, and working behind the scenes. One of the plays was written by my daughter, and it was extremely cool to see teen actors in the roles she had written. (Note: She had no help from me. I didn't even read her play until it had already been submitted.) Sooo many talented young adults! They blew me away.
4. When my husband was away, my son helped me with a difficult project that I couldn't complete on my own. I will forever remember my son's kindness and maturity. It was one of those moments when you see the man your teen is becoming, and your heart swells up inside your chest even faster than the Grinch's.
5. I earned my teaching credential back in college, but that was in California and we now live in Washington. I'm in the process of getting my teaching certificate up here. The last step was an endorsement test. I studied and studied and studied (with help from my kids), and I took the test in February. Now I have more writing time!! I plan to start subbing in the fall so I can have a job that allows me to set aside days to write and attend critique group meetings. Plus, I'll get to hang out with kids and keep up with their interests as my own children grow. Yay!
How about you? What has made you smile lately?
Update: Medeia Sharif is giving away a copy of BEWITCHING by Alex Flinn at her blog. The contest ends March 6th. You can check it out here!