Saturday, January 28, 2012

MAY B. by Caroline Starr Rose

So who has already read MAY B. by bloggy friend Caroline Starr Rose? I read it last week, and I loved it!

MAY B. is Caroline's debut! It's a middle grade novel, and it was released January 10, 2012, by Schwartz & Wade, an imprint of Random House. Here's a book description I snatched from IndieBound:

I've known it since last night:

It's been too long to expect them to return.

Something's happened.


May is helping out on a neighbor's Kansas prairie homestead--just until Christmas, says Pa. She wants to contribute, but it's hard to be separated from her family by fifteen long, unfamiliar miles. Then the unthinkable happens: May is abandoned. Trapped in a tiny snow-covered sod house, isolated from family and neighbors, May must prepare for the oncoming winter. While fighting to survive, May's memories of her struggles with reading at school come back to haunt her. But she's determined to find her way home again. Caroline Starr Rose's fast-paced novel, written in beautiful and riveting verse, gives readers a strong new heroine to love.


The protagonist is a great example of a sympathetic, courageous character. I really enjoyed reading May's story. I'm so happy for Caroline, and I look forward to her next book!



The SCBWI Winter Conference is under way in New York City, the land of delicious street vendor hot dogs. And oh, yeah--the heart of publishing. Rather than ramble about how much I love New York or post a picture of myself hugging a HarperCollins pillar (which some might mistakenly think screams immaturity since we all know how sophisticated I am), I'll just wish bucket loads of learning and inspiration to those who are attending this year's conference. Luckily, the rest of us can follow the events at the
official SCBWI conference blog.

How is everything in your corner of the blogosphere?

19 comments:

Angelina C. Hansen said...

Thanks for the recommendation. May B has been on my radar and I've now moved it over to TBR!

Faith Pray said...

May B sounds great, plus I love the cover art! Thanks for the recommendation!

Dawn Simon said...

Angelina, I think we were at each other's blogs at the exact same moment. Doo-doo-doo-doo... (That was Twilight Zone music, by the way.) I bet you'll love the book!

Hi, Faith! The cover art is great, isn't it? So cool your agent gave a shout out to you and your family in NYC. :)

storyqueen said...

May B is on my TBR list. It sounds so good!

Shelley

Old Kitty said...

All the best to Caroline with her fabbo book!! Thanks for a most enthusiastic review!!

I don't see anything wrong with hugging a HarperCollins pillar! I say go for it!! and Good for you! Take care
x

Stephanie Thornton said...

May B is on my list. I'm actually wondering if my five-year-old would like it. I guess I'll find out!

Faith E. Hough said...

I loved May B! There was so much that impressed me about it, the wonderful mc most of all.

Caroline Starr Rose said...

Thank you, Dawn, and everyone here. It's kind word-of-mouth recommendations like this that really make a difference in a book's life. I've always loved playing book matchmaker with friends. It's incredibly special to now have friends play book matchmaker with my book!

Stina Lindenblatt said...

I almost went to NYC for the conference, but in the end decided not to because my husband was coming home from his conference the day I had to fly out. I didn't want to risk him being delayed and no one being home for the kids. I really wanted to hear Cassandra Clare speak. Thanks for the blog link. I'm off to check it out. :D

Dawn Simon said...

Hi, Shelley! I think you'll really enjoy it!

Old Kitty, you are always so sweet!

Stephanie, CONGRATULATIONS on finding representation!!! WOO-HOO!!! I'm so excited for you!!!

Faith, same here! Exactly!

Hi, Caroline! You're very welcome. :) Of course, all of my book recommendations are sincere--you wrote a fabulous book!!

Stina, I totally get it. We had a similar situation when I went to the NYC conference in 2010. I hope you get to hear her speak another time soon.

Susan R. Mills said...

This one's on my list. I can't wait to read it.

Dawn Simon said...

Hi, Susan! It's great!

And I love Caroline's expression "book matchmaker." As you guys know, it really is fun spreading the word about a friend's book you believe in! Caroline is such a sweetheart, and it's exciting when you see someone's talent and perseverance pay off!

Amy L. Sonnichsen said...

Loved MAY B. and so did my daughter! I was lucky enough to win the ARC from Caroline's blog. So excited for her!

Susan Fields said...

I've heard of this book before, and it sounds so good! And yes, of course we all know how sophisticated you are! :)

Dawn Maria said...

What a wonderful book! Now that I work in a high school library, I get to follow the YA market and it's full of so many good books, I can hardly stand it. I think I'll be taking home at least 30 to read over the summer. Thanks for sharing Dawn.

Dawn Simon said...

Amy, you are lucky! So special that your daughter enjoyed it, too!

Thank you, Susan! ;)

Dawn, I still find it really cool that you get to work in a high school library. Fun!!

Medeia Sharif said...

I read May B last year and loved the strength of the M.C.

One of these days I'll go to the SCBWI NY conference.

Dawn Simon said...

Hi, Medeia! Yes, May is such a wonderful protagonist. The Winter Conference is great. You'll love it!

Theresa Milstein said...

I've heard good things about this book. I'm going to add it to my list.