Sunday, December 18, 2011

Sweet News

SCBWI Western Washington has an annual cookie competition, and this year's event took place Tuesday night. I baked some cookies and won first runner-up! And there were prizes! I won an Olympics-style cookie ribbon and a gift card to a bookstore!


The grand prize went to uber-baker Chadwick Gillenwater
. Lida Enche won "Most Creative" for her Sidewalk Crack Cookies. Check out her blog to see how amazing her cookies were. Seriously, go now. I'll wait.


Weren't they amazing?! I brought one home so I could show my family! Such beautiful cookies!


I baked Chocolate Dipped Toffee Bits Cookies.



You can find the recipe
here. I would like to note that while I'm aware the apostrophe in Heath Bits 'o Brickle Toffee Bits is in the wrong place, I am not responsible for the gross misuse of punctuation. Tee-hee!


The cookie fun was just one part of our meeting. During the mini-session,
Liz Mills interviewed a few librarians who work in schools or with teens. My favorite parts were when they spoke about what they would like to see more of and when they gave hints for author visits.

Authors
Heather Davis and Liz Gallagher did a presentation, "How to Start a Fire: Inspiration Now, Inspiration Later," during our main session. I loved it! It was so helpful for where I am right now, rewriting one book and playing with a shiny, new idea for another. What made their talk extra special, in my opinion, was the fact that they work differently from one another; it exemplified how there isn't one "right" way.

At the meeting,
Joni Sensel and Laurie Thompson officially passed the co-regional advisor torch to Jaime Temairik and Kimberly Baker. All four of these ladies are incredible, and I am sooo thankful for all they do.


Enjoy the holidays! I'll see you all in 2012!

15 comments:

Kjersten said...

Yummy! After reading this I think I need to go take a cookie break.

Dawn Simon said...

Hi, Kjersten! I do, too.

Amy L. Sonnichsen said...

Oh man, those cookies look good, Dawn! I love toffee and chocolate. Yum!

Wow, this sounds like so much fun. When my baby is a bit older, I want to start coming to some Western Washington SCBWI events. They sound amazing! Just have to talk the hubby into caring for all five kids for the whole day. :)

I hope you have a terrific holiday!

Margaret Nevinski said...

Dawn, your cookies look awesome. Congratulations on your prize--I expect you to wear your medal to our next crit group meeting!

Dawn Simon said...

Amy, that would be so fun! Now we even have a dance at our conference--and I know how you love to dance! You could try bribing your husband with Chocolate Dipped Toffee Bits Cookies. Just an idea... ;)

Thanks, Margaret! So funny! Maybe I should wear it with my USD sweatshirt? Hee! (Note to others: Margaret has seen me in my USD sweatshirt way too many times!)

Jackee said...

Mmm... there is no food I love so much as cookies. :o) Congrats!! What a fun conference, sounds like.

Merry Christmas!

Nancy Thompson said...

They look yummy! Happy holidays, Dawn!

Medeia Sharif said...

Congratulations on your win, Dawn. And those cookies look delicious.

Happy holidays!

Gail Shepherd said...

These SCBWI events are so great for inspiration, aren't they? Our Florida conference happens in a couple of weeks, and I'm so psyched for it!

Michelle Dennis Evans said...

With those pictures you've made me hungry! LOL

Dawn Simon said...

Thanks, Jackee! Ooh, it is a fun one!

Nancy, happy holidays to you, too!

Thank you, Medeia! I hope you're enjoying your break! I wonder how many books you've read since school got out, speed reader! :)

Gail, they are! Have a super time at your conference!

Hi, Michelle! :)

Melissa Sugar said...

Congrats on your award. Your cookies look and sound yummy. I just copied the recipe. The conference sounds like much fun.

Melissa Ann Goodwin said...

You're right, the Sidewalk Crack Cookies are amazing! Congratulations on your prize. Happy writing in 2012

Monica B.W. said...

YUM!!! I love cookies so much that it's a pain to share them for me! lol.
And thanks for stopping by my blog the other day and sending good vibes!! It was nice to see you there! :D

Theresa Milstein said...

Those cookies look delicious! I wish my SCBWI branch had a cookie competition. Not that I can bake, but I can taste!