Saturday, November 12, 2011

Random Bits

*Last Saturday I attended a Field's End seminar led by author James Thayer. It was a Character Development Intensive. Since I'm really examining the bones of my story and tweaking each of my characters, the timing was ideal.


*My husband made a yummy pumpkin side dish that evening.


Jim often cooks on Saturday or Sunday nights, and his meals are usually the best ones of the week! He served the pumpkin with Alaskan cod and green beans. Mmm...


My husband is a constant source of strength and love, and I adore him!

Jim :)


*The monthly meeting for
SCBWI Western Washington was Tuesday night, and we watched the documentary LIBRARY OF THE EARLY MIND. Director and co-producer Edward J. Delaney was our guest, and he answered questions after the film.

LIBRARY OF THE EARLY MIND trailer:



It was a super interesting film--and a fun night! If you didn't catch it at any of the screenings, you can check it out when it becomes available on DVD!



*Have you seen the list of the best books of 2011 that
Publishers Weekly put together? You can find it here.


*My buddy
Molly Hall sent me a link to a beautiful post at Laini Taylor's blog. Molly said it sang to her heart, and I'm betting it will sing to yours as well.


How was your week? Have you read any posts lately that left you extra inspired?

11 comments:

Heather said...

Seminars and SCBWI meetings, wow, I wish I had been in your pocket! I love pumpkin anything so your husband became my new hero with that amazing looking dish!

Dawn Simon said...

Heather, I'm lucky to have great writing organizations nearby. I shared your comment with my husband, and he loved it! :)

Medeia Sharif said...

Interesting stuff, Dawn. I'll check out the links and video.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend.

Old Kitty said...

The clip was really interesting! Thank you for sharing this here - the story world of a child is truly complex!

Glad you had a great time at the seminar.

p.s. I've never seen pumpkin served this way! I'm guessing the whole pumpkin was roasted?? Looks so yummy! Take care
x

Claudia Del Balso said...

Hi Dawn,
That pumpkin dish looks yummy! Lucky you, I'm the one who cooks at home. By the way, thank you for joining my blog. I'm already following you (I'm #248) ;)

Dawn Simon said...

Thanks, Medeia. I hope you had a great weekend!

Old Kitty, it was a very interesting film, and I loved watching it in a room full of people who are passionate about children's books! Regarding my husband's dish, he put four types of cheese, bread cubes, and garlic inside a hollowed out pumpkin. After he baked it, he sliced it and served it. It was good--and different, which made it extra fun.

Hi, Claudia! I love it when Jim cooks dinner! He finds it relaxing. You're welcome! Thank you for the follow! :)

Susan R. Mills said...

Thanks for the links. Off to check them out now!

Amy L. Sonnichsen said...

Everything you posted about is cool, Dawn! That pumpkin dish looks scrumptious, and just talking about Alaskan Cod got my stomach growling. Thanks for the links, too! :)

Amy

Susan Fields said...

You're husband sounds like a great guy, and that pumpkin dish looks delicious! I can almost smell it now...

Michelle said...

Three cheers for Jim!
I'm still coming down from a high of a 3 day writers fair. I spent one day with an author working on my firt 50 pages... One on four we got lots of attention and help.

Dawn Simon said...

Hi, Susan!

Thank you, Amy!

Thanks, Susan! Yeah, Jim is so great. I feel fortunate to have him. <3

Hi, Michelle! Thanks for the Jim cheers! :) Wow, that sounds like a super experience! I'm happy for you!