Saturday, October 1, 2011

What's Hot at Eagle Harbor Book Company

Some of you may remember my post about Eagle Harbor Book Company, one of my favorite independent bookstores. Here is their website. They are located on Bainbridge Island, a beautiful spot that's a short ferry hop from Seattle.

* * *

Interested in hearing which children's books were selling well here in Western Washington, I spoke with a bookseller from Eagle Harbor Book Company. (Hi, Victoria!) She was super helpful, and she provided me with the list of children's books they sold the most of last week. Guess what! Two Friends-o-the-Blog made the list!


THE SNIFFLES FOR BEAR by Bonny Becker




EVERY THING ON IT by Shel Silverstein




MOCKINGJAY (Hunger Games #3) by Suzanne Collins




GOLIATH by Scott Westerfeld
(Ooh! See my last post!)



BIG NATE ON A ROLL by Lincoln Peirce




POWER OF SIX (Lorien Legacies #2) by Pittacus Lore




BUMBLE-ARDY by Mauice Sendak




THE STORY OF FERDINAND by Munro Leaf




GOOD NIGHT, GOOD KNIGHT by Shelley Moore Tho
mas (Yay, Shelley!)



RABBIT'S GIFT by George Shannon
(Yay, George!)



INFINITY (Chronicles of Nick #1) by Sherrilyn Kenyon



THE ABSOLUTELY TRUE DIARY OF A PART-TIME INDIAN by Sherman Alexie





Eagle Harbor Book Company sells all sorts of books--not just children's--though the children's sections are my faves. They also host super cool readings. Two upcoming West Sound Reads
events:

*
Maggie Stiefvater will be reading from THE SCORPIO RACES on Monday, October 10, at 7:00 p.m. The event will be held at the North Kitsap Community Auditorium in Poulsbo, Washington.

*
Christopher Paolini will be at the Commons at Bainbridge High School on Monday, November 28, at 7:00 p.m. He'll be reading from INHERITANCE.


In the comments, feel free to plug an independent bookstore you love! Also, what are you reading now? I'm finally reading THE HELP by Kathryn Stockett.


Note: I won't be posting next weekend, but I will the following weekend.

20 comments:

storyqueen said...

Yay!! Makes me want to fly to Seattle and hop on a ferry!

So honored to be on the list with many of my favorites (I'm talking 'bout you, Ferdinand!)

I am reading Daughter of Smoke and Bone right now. it's definitely living up to the hype.

Shelley

Jess said...

Oh, Ferdinand! This totally reminded me that I need to get that book for my daughter :) Congrats to Shelley!

Dawn Simon said...

Hi, Shelley! So fun to see your book on the list! Congrats! I haven't read DAUGHTER OF SMOKE AND BONE yet, but I plan to. Laini Taylor is so talented.

Jess, I thought of my son with THE POWER OF SIX. He read I AM NUMBER FOUR soon after it came out, so I bet he'd like book #2. Have fun with Ferdinand! :)

Angelina C. Hansen said...

This is a very cool idea for a blog feature. Thanks, Dawn!

Nancy Thompson said...

We used to have a fantastic children's book store here on the Eastside in Issaquah, but then B&N moved in and the the store closed up shop. So sad. The woman who owned it had read every book in there and always had great recommendations when my son was younger.

Dawn Simon said...

Thanks, Angelina!

Nancy, it's always so sad when a bookstore has to close. The shop owner sounds amazing.

Suma Subramaniam said...

Thanks for sharing some good reads Dawn! I like Eagle Harbor Books. They support a lot of local authors. I like Parkplace Books in Kirkland too.

I've just started reading Little Did I know - By Mitchell Maxwell.

Best,
Suma.

Maeve Frazier said...

I agree with Angelina - This is a cool idea for a blog feature! Thanks for the recommendations.

Michelle said...

That's some list.
I love Light The Dark - the Aussie family friendly book story that comes to you via party plan.

Medeia Sharif said...

My local indie is Books & Books, and so many cool authors sign there.

I'm reading Watching Willow Watts and The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer.

Susan R. Mills said...

Congrats to Shelley! (And the others too) It's a great list.

vwin said...

Hi back, Dawn! (It's Victoria)

We loved working with you to give you our Island list ...and love to hear what others are reading. Great idea!

Dawn Simon said...

Hi, Suma! I just read about LITTLE DID I KNOW. It sounds good! Yay for Parkplace Books! :)

Maeve, I'm glad you enjoyed it! You're welcome!

That's cool, Michelle!

Medeia, that's great about your local indie! I've told you this before, but I think you read more books than anyone I know! It's always fun to hear what you're reading!

Susan, I got excited when I saw GOOD NIGHT, GOOD KNIGHT on the list too!

Hi, Victoria! It was fun! We'll have to do it again!

A.L. Sonnichsen said...

How very cool!

We don't have any bookstores in our little town. This one sounds amazing!

We have Bonny Becker's A VISITOR FOR BEAR. My kids love it! The pictures are adorable.

Wonderful list, Dawn!

Amy

Sharon K. Mayhew said...

Very cool post, Dawn! Thanks for the great info...I love that Shelley's book is doing so well. :D

Dawn Simon said...

Amy, it really is an amazing bookstore. I love A VISITOR FOR BEAR too. I don't know Bonny Becker personally, but she's in our SCBWI. She did a great talk at one of our Professional Series Meetings, and she is someone I admire.

Thanks, Sharon. And yay for Shelley! :)

Janet Johnson said...

Yay for Shelley! And I love that they shared this list. I find it fascinating!

I'm currently reading Save the Cat. :)

WritingNut said...

Ooh, thanks for sharing these!

Dawn Simon said...

Janet, wasn't it cool of them to share? And ooh, SAVE THE CAT. I love that book.

WritingNut, you're welcome! :)

Theresa Milstein said...

Every Thing On It was a fun read. While it was wonderful to get another poetry anthology from him, I think it wasn't as spectacular as the older ones. A few of them were hysterical though.