Sunday, September 4, 2011

What I Read This Summer :)

Now that the kids are back in school, I can feel summer drawing to a close--even though we finally have gorgeous weather! Remember those "What I Did Last Summer" essays so many of us had to write in elementary school? They're the inspiration behind today's post.

It would be too difficult to name just one title as the best book I read all summer, but one of the books I truly enjoyed was TEXAS GOTHIC by
Rosemary Clement-Moore.


Here's the blurb:


Amy Goodnight's family is far from normal. She comes from a line of witches, but tries her best to stay far outside the family business. Her summer gig? Ranch-sitting for her aunt with her wacky but beautiful sister. Only the Goodnight Ranch is even less normal than it normally is. Bodies are being discovered, a ghost is on the prowl, and everywhere she turns, the hot neighbor cowboy is in her face.


It was such a fun book! Without giving anything away, here are some of the things that pulled me in:
*I loved the voice.
*I cared about Amy Goodnight right away.
*It's a funny book! One scene made me laugh out loud!

*The romance!

*I love it when books with a paranormal or fantastical bent are successfully set in the real world.

*It has a great opening, and I was hooked immediately. I found an excerpt at the Random House site, and you can
check out the first pages if you'd like.

Now it's your turn! What was one of your favorite summer reads?

12 comments:

Unknown said...

Dawn! I stumbled on this while looking to see if you were going to the 25th reunion this summer! :) Hello!! I have to comment on your blog topic.....Hmmm... what I did last summer, swam in my friend's pool, walked to Golden Cove to buy candy, rollerskated up and down the driveway, sound familiar? :)
Good luck with the writing! Sounds wonderful:)
Hugs!
Megan

Dawn Simon said...

Megan!! Oh, my gosh! It's sooo great hearing from you! We totally have to catch up!

Angelina C. Hansen said...

You made me stop and think. What was my favorite read this summer? Had to be Jessi Kirby's MOONGLASS.

Jess said...

Thanks for the recommendation. I love that you said:

*I cared about Amy Goodnight right away.*

This is something I'm really trying to incorporate into my projects, so it's always nice to get a recommendation for a book that does it well. Thanks!

Faith E. Hough said...

That sounds great! I read so much this summer, it's hard to name one favorite...but i just finished Prisoners in the Palace, by Michaela MacColl, and it was really super.

Dawn Simon said...

Angelina, I just looked up MOONGLASS, and it sounds really good.

Jess, I want readers to care about the main characters in my projects as well. I read two books this summer that had protagonists who rubbed me wrong, and each time it made pushing forward feel like an effort.

Hi, Faith! After you commented here, I read what you said about PRISONERS IN THE PALACE at your blog. Now I want to read it!

Sharon K. Mayhew said...

I don't think I can list one favorite read for the summer... I read The Last Boy in the World, an MG novel and could not put it down. I had the same reaction to the Hunger Games. I could keep going...but I'll stop here. :D

Suma Subramaniam said...

Nice ..Thanks for sharing Dawn. I'll look it up. My favorite this summer has been Hunger Games. Cannot put it down.

Best,
Suma.

Dawn Simon said...

Hi, Sharon! Ooh, THE HUNGER GAMES was such a great book! Yeah, it's difficult to name only one! Another excellent book I hit this summer was THE FOREST OF HANDS AND TEETH by Carrie Ryan. So fabulous!

Suma, I couldn't put it down when I read it either!

Kari Marie said...

Oh gosh. Sign me up for this one. I'm going to grab it right now. Cute cowboys, witches and ghosts in the same book? Awesome.

Best book so far for me: Always A Witch by Carolyn MacCullough.

Susan Fields said...

Ooh...that sounds good! I haven't heard of it before, I'll have to check it out. I just read Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver and I LOVED it!

Medeia Sharif said...

You make it sound irresistible. I want.

My favorite summer read was Nova Ren Suma's Imaginary Girls.