Saturday, September 17, 2011

Random Bits

*SCBWI Western Washington had our first professional series meeting of the season. Our featured speaker was Victoria Rock, Founding Children's Book Publisher and Editor-At-Large at Chronicle Books. Ms. Rock gave us a behind-the-scenes look at how an editor and publisher decide to publish a book. She pointed out that it isn't just about a story in all its wonderfulness, but also what is on shelves now. She said we need to be aware of what makes our books different and special. Each of us needs to ask, "What makes my book stand out?"


*Janet Reid
, Jill Corcoran, Rachelle Gardner, and Nathan Bransford shared their opinions on the "no response means no" approach to queries. One of the questions Mr. Bransford asked at the end of his post was, "Do you check an agent's response policy before deciding to query?"

My answer: No. I pay attention to response policies, but they don't affect whether or not I'll query an agent. How about you?



*While the economy continues to look green around the gills, some retailers say children's books are doing swimmingly--or at least pretty well. You can read a
PW article about it here.


*Nothing to do with books or writing, but Pepper (left) and Thistle (second to left) ran into two fellow Whippets a couple weeks ago. Friends make everything better. :)



Happy writing!

11 comments:

Medeia Sharif said...

I'm glad children's books are doing well. I'll check out the article.

Friends do make everything better.

Have a great weekend.

Angelina C. Hansen said...

Adorable pups! Speaking of agents and queries, dId you see this week's writer-buddy contest on my blog? I'd love for you to win a prize ^_^

Janet Johnson said...

Cute puppies!

I do check the response policies, but a "no response means no" doesn't deter me. I sure admire the ones who still respond, though (even when it's a form). :)

Dawn Maria said...

I'm not a fan of "no response means no" but if I feel the agent/agency is right for me, I'd still query them. I understand why so many agencies do this.

Like you Dawn, I make a note of their response time/policy, but I spend far more time looking at the agency's lists and clients.

Molly Hall said...

Friends DO make everything better! SO fun to see you at the meeting! I loved Victoria's talk. : )

Faith E. Hough said...

Sounds like a great meeting! Thanks for sharing about it!!

WritingNut said...

Sounds like it was an amazing meeting! Thanks for sharing... and you're very right... friends DO make everything better. And I love the picture...adorable! :)

Robert Guthrie said...

Thanks for the reminder of SCBWI Western Washington, just a drive away!

A.L. Sonnichsen said...

Yay for the good news about children's books! :)

And no, I don't mind not hearing an answer back, so it doesn't stop me from querying agents with no-answer-means-no policies.

And your dogs are so adorable. My kids have been bugging me to get a dog. I keep telling them to prove themselves. While they're busy "proving themselves" I'm trying to decide which breed would be best. Your Whippets look amazing!

Amy

Michelle said...

I'm the same as you, I read them but that's not the deciding factor.
x

Jackee said...

Sweet doggies. :o) What a great SCBWI with those names to glean advice from! Thanks for sharing with us.

Hugs!