Sunday, August 28, 2011

More Great News for Jennifer Mann (and Sunshine in the Seattle Area!)

I recently mentioned Jennifer Mann's exciting news about illustrating TURKEY TOT (Holiday House), a picture book written by George Shannon. Now Jen has more news: she sold a picture book that she has both written and illustrated! You can read about it here. She is super talented, and I love her work!

My critique group has three members: Jen, the amazing
Margaret Nevinski, and me. We will have some serious celebrating going on at our next meeting!


Congratulations, Jen! We are so proud of you!


* * *

In other news: it's summer! Okay, so you already knew that. It's just that it didn't start feeling like summer around here until about two or three weeks ago. A strange, bright orb can now be seen in the Seattle sky, and it warms us. How crazy is that?!


My dogs, shameless sun worshipers, lo-o-ove this weather. Now when we hold up their leashes, they don't bury their faces in the couch cushions or pretend they don't see us.




Still, the nice weather feels odd this weekend, knowing what people are going through with Irene. To those of you on the East Coast, I'm sending warm thoughts and good wishes your way.

16 comments:

Jess said...

Congrats to Jen! Those doggies are gorgeous :)

Angelina C. Hansen said...

That's great news for Jen! Thanks for sharing. Loving all this sunshine. Camped in the snow this weekend, but woke up to a beautiful sunrise.

Travener said...

And here we are on Monday morning and summer's gone again. I actually had to put a coat on.

Dawn Simon said...

Jess, yay for Jen! Also, Thistle and Pepper thank you. ;)

Angelina, snow camping?! You are way more hearty than I. I think I'm allergic to camping, even in nice weather.

Travener, do you think I jinxed us? Sorry, people of Seattle!

Suma Subramaniam said...

Dawn...Yay! and Congratulations to Jen!

Im still hoping that the good weather will continue to keep us warm in September...Hope, I love :-)

Margaret Nevinski said...

Hurray for Jen's news and for summer! Both happening at the same time has got to be one of the best things ever.

Dawn Simon said...

Hi, Suma! I'm hoping the same thing. I love the rain, but I've been enjoying that sunshine! (I'm glad the afternoon warmed up!)

Hi, Margaret! Wooo-hoooo for Jen!!

Ashley Nixon said...

Congrats to Jen! How wonderful and exciting!
It's funny when you said "it's summer" because I was like...wait..it's still summer?! After I start school, I always think of it as Autumn!

I love you doggies!!! so cute!!

Medeia Sharif said...

Congrats, Jen!

Your dogs are so cute.

I hope you get to enjoy some more great weather.

Tabitha Bird said...

Wow! How exciting for Jen!


Thanks heaps for visiting my blog and welcoming me back :)

Michelle said...

Congratulations Jen! What a wonderful celebration you'll all have.
My kids have been in the pool everyday this week... and its still winter LOL

Susan R. Mills said...

Congrats to Jen! It's felt like summer here for ever, as in 100 degrees every day kind of summer. I'm actually looking forward to fall.

Jennifer K. Mann said...

OMG, why has it taken me so long to get here and read all of these kind words? I can only blame the appearance of the sun, a little bit of end-of-summer chaos in the house, and a brain that is just starting to see the light of routine around the corner.

Dawn, you are very sweet to mention me here, and thanks for the congrats from the rest of you! I am very excited, and I couldn't have done it without Dawn's and Margaret's feedback and support and coffee shop hoorays!!!

Nancy Thompson said...

Ha! I left for California the very day the weather got nice around here. Then when I got back to Seattle, it was only 63 degrees! Still, it beats 100 which is what I just left so I'll take it!!

Donna K. Weaver said...

lol What a fun image of your dogs burying their faces in the couch.

Dawn Simon said...

Ashley, I'm the same way. School = fall. My kids started school this week, and summer already feels farther away--just days after I wrote my post.

Thanks, Medeia. It's supposed to be warm again this weekend. :)

Tabitha, I'm glad you're back! Your posts are always so beautiful.

Michelle, what lucky kids! I wish I could say we've been in the pool all week too! And in Australia!

Oh, Susan, I don't envy that. I'm a moderate temperature kind of gal. ;) Whenever I caught myself sighing about wearing a sweater and jeans this summer, I'd think about the heat we could have been having. I hope things cool down for you soon--but not too much!

Jen, CONGRATULATIONS!!! xxoo

Nancy, I read about your California trip after you stopped by my blog. Yes, I'll take 63 over 100 as well.

Donna, they are so silly. When I'm out running, friends will ask where my dogs are. I'll be like, "Um...on the couch."