Sunday, May 8, 2011

Spring Cleaning

My revision is keeping me hopping. This week I've been focusing on the chapters in the middle of my book. I've also been having a wrestling match with chapter 1, but it's too soon to say who's winning. One of the things I plan to do next week is tweak my ending. Thus, other than the beginning, middle, and ending, everything is under control. Ahem.

Actually, things are going quite well. I'm fired up about this manuscript! While I haven't been doing much spring cleaning in my house, my manuscript pages are looking prettier. Regarding Chapter 1, I just need to take a step back before I can assess it.


(Do you see why I never pursued illustrating?)


I took some photos to share spring in the Pacific Northwest. It was sunny outside when the idea came to me, but clouds rolled in before I snapped the first picture. All the better, I suppose, for a realistic depiction of our corner of the world. I love spring here, with its fluctuating weather.








Happy Mother's Day to all the mothers out there!

13 comments:

Laura Pauling said...

Good luck when revising! It's not easy. And it's just about impossible to get chapter one right!

Anne Gallagher said...

Ah, the dreaded chapter 1. I usually wait until I've gone through the whole book before returning to it. Somehow, finishing with the end, makes going back to the beginning easier. If that makes any sense.

I guess what I mean to say is, you can find clues or loopholes at the end to put in the beginning.

Okay, I need more caffeine.

Dawn Simon said...

Thanks, Laura!

Anne, you made perfect sense! Sometimes chapter 1 comes together better after the rest of the book is polished and fully realized. I work on chapter 1 at various points--it's always evolving. I pulled it out this time because of manuscript consultations.

Sara McClung ♥ said...

Those tulips are beautiful. And congrats on flowing through your revisions! The middle is usually the hardest part for me.

Good luck with chapter 1--it'll come to you after you give yourself time to gain perspective. Which it sounds like you're doing :)

Jennifer K. Mann said...

You know, that's an awesome little drawing! I think you've been hiding another talent, despite your protestations!!!

Medeia Sharif said...

Revising does sometimes feel like wrestling.

Lovely pics. Happy belated Mother's Day.

Paul Greci said...

Good luck with the revision. And thanks for posting the beautiful photos!!

Heather said...

Enjoy your revising! That's my favorite part. :) I love the spring pictures and can hardly wait for the warm weather to reach where I live!

Dawn Simon said...

Thanks, Sara! Tonight I'm going to a talk on flabby middles--the writing kind, not an exercise class. ;) I've been trimming, trying to cut the flab from my manuscript. Yes, I agree: time gives perspective!

Jen! So funny that the crit partner who writes and illustrates stopped by when I put my shaky little drawing up!

Thanks, Medeia! It does sometimes feel that way, doesn't it?

Thanks, Paul! Great contest at your blog!

Hi, Heather! It's usually my favorite part, too. :)

WritingNut said...

Good luck with your revisions... I'm right in the midst of them too :) Love these pictures... it's been raining all week here.

Al said...

My chapter one was the last thing I polished up.

I love the water in the bay photo.
It looks like dull liquid metal.

Terri Tiffany said...

Your weather is slowly getting nicer out there, isn't it? My daughter keeps me up to date:))
Hope this week your revisions are going just as well:)

Dawn Simon said...

Thanks, WritingNut! Good luck with your revisions, too!

Hi, Al! That chapter 1... Thanks for the follow!

Thanks, Terri! Yes, we've been seeing more sun!