Sunday, April 3, 2011

WIP Update

I'm super close to finishing the current draft of my WIP. I'll definitely be wrapping it up this week! Woo-hoo! My next draft should go much quicker because of the amount of manuscript surgery I've already completed.

I've decided to change the title. I've already bounced my newest idea off critique partners, but I'm still test driving it. I liked the first title I came up with, but I wasn't sold on it. The second one, refreshingly different from the first, wasn't quite right, either. Now I'm on the third title, and I think it's "the one." We shall see.


I'm fully aware titles get changed, and I'm fine with that. Still, I want to have a title I'm proud of when it's time to query agents. I think a good title can:

*give a positive first impression

*hint at or tell the topic and/or theme

*share a bit of the book's flavor

*fit the age group of the book's intended audience

*reflect the genre

*be one more place to show our creativity


No pressure, right? Hee-hee.



Off topic, but I'll end with a photo I took Friday of my wingman, Thistle. He's often right there, behind my chair, when I'm writing. In fact, he's there now.



Instead of pulling Gs, my wingman pulls Zs.
Zzzzz...


How are your projects coming? How important do you think it is to have a good working title?

18 comments:

Stephanie Thornton said...

I plan to finish my current WIP by the end of the month, but I started tweaking the first part of the story today. Must not get distracted with revisions!

Solvang Sherrie said...

A good title is huge. Congrats on being so close to The End! That has to feel good :)

Laura Pauling said...

That's great you found one you liked! And even if it gets changed you want a title that will initially attract an agents attention!

Andrea Mack said...

I'm still trying to decide on a title for the novel I'm working on. Thanks for the tips!

Anne Gallagher said...

Go you! Yay, almost done!
Titles are important. I've changed mine five times and finally feel I've found the right one.

Love the wingman.

Wendy Paine Miller said...

What a cool name for a dog!

I love choosing titles. Sometimes it takes a while, but I love it.

~ Wendy

Travener said...

Good for you! Wish I could report progress. But I need an idea first!

Medeia Sharif said...

Thistle's so cute.

I love coming up with titles. It makes a manuscript more real to me.

Ghenet Myrthil said...

Congrats on finishing your draft this week! It took me forever to come up with my title. It was hard but I really like it.

Your dog is so cute!

Niki said...

Well done you :o) Furry companions are great eh!

Angelina C. Hansen said...

Congrats on the WIP work! Titles are my nemesis, but I think a good title is important. Love the feeling when you find one that's a perfect fit (and then you search and find that it hasn't already been used:-)

Thanks for the follow. See you soon!

Dawn Simon said...

Stephanie, it's great you're so close to finishing! Yeah, I can lose myself in revisions, tweaking this and cutting that.

Thanks, Sherrie!

Laura, I agree!

Andrea, good luck with that title! :)

Anne, ooh, I'm glad you found the right one! Thanks for the encouragement and the wingman love! ;)

Dawn Simon said...

Wendy, thanks! He came with that name. We gave him his middle name, McGregor. ;) It can take a while to find the right name for a ms.

Thanks, Travener! Good luck with the ideas!

Medeia, I like seeing the name in the header when you know you've hit the right one. :)

Ghenet, I'm glad you have one you really like. That's a great feeling!

Thanks, Niki! Yes, you and I are both animal lovers!

Thanks, Angelina! I love that feeling, too--especially after the search! ;) See you soon!

Belle Wong said...

Congrats on finishing your draft! I'm not very good with titles, so I was thrilled when the title for my current WIP (a novella) came along with my MC's name. Love when it works like that. Your wingman is adorable!

Susan Fields said...

What a sweet doggie!

I think a working title is very important. It's another way to capture an agent's attention.

Carolina Valdez Miller said...

I'm trying to rename my ms now, too. Can be so tough. But I have heard that a really strong title can sometimes be enough to get an agent to pay closer attention & take interest in a query. So it's good you're trying your hardest, I think. Good luck as you finish your revisions!

Dawn Simon said...

Thanks, Belle! That's great about your title!

Hi, Susan! I agree!

Thanks, Carolina! I've heard that, too. Good luck to you as well!

Rachel Searles said...

Titles are the BANE OF MY LIFE. So bad at them. I'm currently waiting for word on the state of my corrupt flash drive to see how I proceed on the WIP, but in the meantime have been bowled over by a shiny new idea that's like a gale force hurricane :)