Saturday, April 30, 2011

This and That



This may be a bit premature, but...
Once I finally land my first book deal, will I be morally obligated to include the fine people at Starbucks in my acknowledgments section? I'd hate to think what my word count might look like if Starbucks, the masters of tasty caffeinated beverages, never invaded our planet. Too. Frightening. To. Ponder.



How many of you saw The Voice this week?

It's a new TV show where people sing their hearts out, trying to get the show's coaches to sit up and take notice. The coaches are looking to "discover and develop" new voices.
Oh-my-gosh-doesn't-this-totally-remind-you-of-the-agent-quest-bloggy-friends? I've heard industry professionals compare American Idol to the query process. The Voice fits the analogy as well.

Listen to this part: If more than one of the coaches (Cee Lo Green, Blake Shelton, Adam Levine, and Christina Aguilera) select a singer, the singer suddenly has the power. Then the coaches must compete. Think multiple offers, people. Yowza.


One of the things that make it extra fun to watch? Each coach can't see a performer until he or she is ready to offer a spot on his or her team--or when the song ends, and it's too late to make an offer. This prevents coaches from judging singers by anything but their voices. Pretty cool. In summary: I'm hooked, I'm intrigued, and I'll stay tuned to see if the rest of the season measures up to the sample chapter. Tee-hee.



Those of you with Kindles will soon be able to check out library books with your e-readers.

This was in
PW on April 20th.

I have a Nook, but I still haven't used it to borrow a library e-book. I love my Nook, though. I'm currently reading WICKED LOVELY on it.



What random things would you like to share, bloggy friends o' mine?


Happy writing!

9 comments:

A.L. Sonnichsen said...

LOL! Yes, definitely include Starbucks in your acknowledgement section. I'm acknowledging the Pepsi company for my afternoon caffeine habit (that keeps me writing instead of napping).

That sounds like such an interesting show! I haven't watched it yet. Thanks for the tip!

Amy

Jemi Fraser said...

I think you'll really enjoy Wicked Lovely! :)

I missed the Voice (NHL playoffs!) but my daughter caught me up on it - I can't wait to watch it. Very cool idea. And now I'm going to relate the whole thing to querying!! :)

Anita Saxena said...

I read library books on my Nook all the time. I love it.

Diane said...

I did not see The Voice. I got kinda turned off by Christina this year. It's just me, I know..... :O) Have a great week!

Dawn Simon said...

Amy, I think you and I have discussed our caffeine addictions in the past! Yay for Starbucks and PepsiCo! ;)

Jemi, I'm really enjoying it! Also, I think the cover is so beautiful, don't you?

Anita, that's great. I plan to soon!

Diane, it's super fun to watch! You have a great week, too!

Susan Fields said...

I loved Wicked Lovely. I read Ink Exchange after, but it was about different characters, and I didn't like it as much. I wanted Aislinn and Seth, but it was about Aislinn's friend Leslie instead.

Three cheers for Starbucks!

Hema P. said...

I haven't watched "The Voice," but loved your analogy! Everywhere I turn these days, I see parallels to writing and publishing, too! :)

WritingNut said...

I've heard Wicked Lovely is great! I only caught a tiny bit of the show, but it looked kind of cool :)

Dawn Simon said...

Susan, oooh, interesting to hear who's in the next book!

Thanks, Hema! It's a fun show. :)

Writing Nut, I'm enjoying it. Someone mentioned the movie to me in an e-mail. I had no idea!