Thursday, January 27, 2011

Conference Chitchat

The SCBWI Winter Conference is this weekend, and many of you are in (or en route to) New York City right now, waiting for it to start. I can't go this year, but I know those who do will have a blast. If you're one of this year's lucky attendees, I hope you learn a ton from the creative minds around you, meet lots of new people, and return home filled with inspiration. Also, will someone buy a hot dog from a street vendor in my honor?

I know! Let's take an itsy-bitsy trip down memory lane and gaze at the hot dog stand where I bought my last New York City hot dog.




Beautiful, isn't it? Is anyone else choked up?


OH, NEW YORK CITY VENDOR DOGS, WHY MUST YOU TASTE SO GOOD? I don't really want to know what you're made of, but WHY MUST YOU TAUNT ME WITH THE MEMORY OF YOUR INVITING AROMA AND DELICIOUS FLAVOR?



Ahem. Please give me a moment to pull myself together.


Okay, thanks.



Speaking of great conferences, I'd like to plug the one put on by my regional SCBWI.
SCBWI Western Washington is currently registering people for our annual conference. This will be our 20th anniversary event, and it will take place in Redmond, Washington, April 16th and 17th. There will be keynotes by Holly Black, E. Lockhart, Dan Santat, and Deborah Wiles. We will also get to hear from an impressive group of agents, editors, and other faculty members. Our amazing advisory committee has a couple extras planned too. There will be a kidlit drink night the evening before the conference and a dance on Saturday night.

Woo-hoo! I'm already registered.


Do you plan to attend any conferences or workshops in 2011?

15 comments:

Hema P. said...

I can feel your enthusiasm and excitement through the ether, Dawn! I'm sure you'll have a blast! :)

Susan R. Mills said...

Now, I'm craving a hot dog!

Diane said...

Wish I was going to the one in NY, but I feel I'm not quite ready yet. Next year! :O)

Catherine Ensley said...

Hey, I'll be at SCBWI-WW! I love that conference, as well as their retreats.

Dawn Simon said...

Hi, Hema! I'm looking forward to it. It's great every time I go!

Susan, but not just any hot dog! There's something about those NYC hot dogs... ;)

Diane, I hope you get to go next year! I hope we both do! :)

Catherine, SCBWI WWA rocks. I get so much out of the annual conference! I've only been on one of the retreats, and it was fabulous! I bet we'll see each other there!

Stephen Tremp said...

I keep telling myself I will but have yet to register for any. I don't think I'll pay to set up shop but will walk around the events, meet people, and hand out business cards.

Carolina Valdez Miller said...

Aw, I wish I could've gone, too. I almost did. thought about it anyway. But I have another major one I'm going to in a couple of weeks, and it was just too much for me. Plus, I missed the deadline for the critique workshops, and after that, I was like, ehhhh...

But I hope to be able to go to NYC pretty soon! I haven't been since I was in high school! I've heard the hot dogs are yummers!

Sharon K. Mayhew said...

I haven't been to a big SCBWI conference yet. I've gone to the Highlight's Summer Workshop which is a week long session. I'd like to go to some of their smaller more intimate retreats, but I haven't planned anything for 2011.

Catherine Ensley said...

Hi again. I do hope we see each other at the conference. I just left you something on my blog.

Lynda Young said...

I'd love to go to that NYC conference, but I'm stuck in Sydney, Australia at the moment.

Lyn
W.I.P. It: A Writer's Journey

Dawn Simon said...

Hi, Stephen!

Carolina, I totally get it. The Writers' Intensive is such a great opportunity. Cool that you're going to a conference in a couple weeks. Enjoy!

Sharon, I haven't been to that one yet. Yeah, smaller workshops or retreats can be really nice too!

Catherine, thank you! So sweet!

Lynda, I'm sure the NYC one was awesome. Still, Australia seems like a pretty good place to be "stuck." ;)

Paul Greci said...

No plans yet, but I love walking around NYC!!

Dawn Maria said...

I've applied to the Tin House Summer Writers Workshop for the first time this year. I'm also looking for a fall conference. I like a conference to have a mix of instruction time and business stuff like agent pitches. I always feel so inspired being around so many writers.

Suma Subramaniam said...

I signed up too. See you at the conference Dawn!

Dawn Simon said...

Paul, I love walking around NYC too. We took the kids in 2009, and it was one of our best trips ever. :) I didn't walk around the city much the two times I went for conferences, but I loved just being there.

Dawn, good for you! I agree: I like it when there are sessions on craft and marketing, and I appreciate when they offer manuscript consultations or opportunities to pitch. SCBWI does a beautiful job at combining craft and business. The PNWA conference up here offers pitch appointments, which are kind of scary but fun and exciting too. Great learning experience--and opportunity.

Hi, Suma! I'm glad I'll see you there! :)