Sunday, September 19, 2010

This and That

Last Monday, Henry Holt editor Noa Wheeler led a hands-on writing workshop I was lucky to attend, and it got me thinking about future projects. While my current WIP has taken up residence in my brain, sprawling everywhere and getting its fingers into everything inside my head, the day will come when this WIP gets the spit and polish of a completed manuscript and is sent off into the world. That's when I'll need to dive into my next book. In my opinion, the submission process is so much easier when one's heart is invested in more than one manuscript. The workshop encouraged me to think about new possibilities, and I enjoyed it.

I had a manuscript consultation with Ms. Wheeler the next day. Since I recently began rewriting my book, it was a fabulous opportunity to get an editor's take on my new opening. The feedback was very helpful, and I feel my first chapter is stronger now because of it.


A week like last week makes me wonder where I'd be without the SCBWI. Seriously. The SCBWI offers so many opportunities for aspiring and established writers, everything from just hanging out with people who "get it" to receiving feedback from industry professionals. I think I'm sounding like a commercial, but that isn't my intent; I'm merely expressing how thankful I am to be part of such a wonderful organization.



Blogosphere news:


Moonrat
did her last post at Editorial Ass. It's sad--I adore her blog--but the good news is she's keeping it online so we can continue to use it as a resource. The great news is she loves her job. I wish her the best of luck.

My dear friend
George Shannon is now blogging. George is talented, hilarious, kind, and very wise. We can all learn from him.

Congrats to my friend
Margaret Nevinski. Her young adult short story, "The Eve of St. Agnes," has been published in the online literary journal Hunger Mountain. Click here to read it. It's great! You can check out her blog here.


The weather in my area keeps fluctuating between rain and sun. I like the rain, but my dogs do not. I'll end with a photo of Thistle and Pepper who regularly parallel park their skinny little bodies in sunbeams. Then you can see for yourselves how they feel about sunshine.



(The black and white thing by Thistle's leg is a skunk chew toy. Let's hope they never encounter a real skunk. It probably wouldn't be as polite about being chased as our beloved
Chester.)

How about you guys? What's going on with your projects?

15 comments:

Diane said...

I queried once this week and am working on another story.

Love those happy dogs. I feel that way in the sunshine too! :O)

Travener said...

I've had some decent success with my QueryBomb, dropped on New York about 10 days ago. I'm taking notes, very slowly, for my WIP, which will mean it'll be outdated by the time I get it written.

Nicole MacDonald said...

Wow congrats to Margaret - that's really exciting! And it's awesome when a course is so helpful, really inspiring :) I'll miss moonrat!

http://damselinadirtydress.blogspot.com

Dawn Simon said...

Diane, yay for the query and the new story! Good luck with both!

Travener, I'm glad to hear things are going well! Congrats! Regarding the WIP, at least you're not rushing it.

Nicole, I'm excited for Margaret. She's very talented. Oh! I should have mentioned in the post that she teaches writing to kids and adults! I'll miss Moonrat, too.

Solvang Sherrie said...

You've been busy! Manuscript consults are excellent. I'm so thankful to the first person who told me about SCBWI.

Kelly said...

I love SCBWI events too!
I am almost done with my mg then off to my readers then more revisions.
I adore dogs and I love seeing yours so content laying in the sun!!

Susan R. Mills said...

Yes SCBWI is great! I'm letting one project sit for a while and working on a new one. It's nice to move on sometimes.

bethanyhegedus said...

Hi, Dawn,

Thanks for celebrating Margaret's Eve of St. Agnes story in Hunger Mountain this issue. As co-editor I encourage you and your blog readers to submit your fiction, poetry, etc. to the journal. We are always looking for new talent!

Margaret Nevinski said...

Thanks for the plug, Dawn and Bethany! If I may say so, Hunger Mountain is an awesome literary journal. Each year there is a Katherine Paterson Prize for children's and young adult writing, so check it out.

Dawn, I couldn't agree more that George Shannon is all the wonderful things you said.

I also got a lot out of Noa Wheeler's talk when she was at the Seattle SCBWI last week. She was genuinely invested in the audience and spent a lot of time answering questions.

Tamika: said...

I'm editing and loving it:)

Thanks for the links, and all best with your projects!

Sharon K. Mayhew said...

:) I just got back from a conference too...

I have a few revisions to make on one piece and then need to send it off to scholarly publishing houses...and rework the other...great advice...workshops and interaction was really helpful!

Marsha Sigman said...

Just finished rewriting part of my wip and I love it again.lol

Dawn Simon said...

Sherrie, manuscript consultations are excellent opportunities. And it was through the SCBWI that I was able to meet you in person! I enjoyed that! :)

Kelly, it sounds like you're in a great place. My dogs excel in lounging. We think Thistle should be a couch model because he makes the couch look so inviting. ;)

Susan, it's great you have a couple projects going. And yes, the blank page can be so freeing, if we let it.

You're welcome, Bethany. Thanks for visiting--and for inviting us to submit to your journal!

Congrats again, Margaret! :) George rocks. I'm glad you got so much out of Ms. Wheeler's talk. I enjoyed your post on it.

Hi, Tamika! Glad you're loving the editing.

Sharon, good for you! It sounds like it was a great conference.

Marsha, you always crack me up! Nathan Bransford once linked to a post that talked about the relationship between a writer and his/her manuscript over time. It was hilarious! I wish I could remember who wrote it, darn it. Anyway, I think it's safe to say we all get it. :)

Jemi Fraser said...

Sounds like things are going well! I think working on another wip while submitting is a sanity saver!

I recently got some fabulous feedback that's making me re-evaluate parts of my story. I to do some thinking before diving back in.

Kjersten said...

I sure missed that first SCBWI meeting of the year! Thanks for posting a few notes. I'm so happy George Shannon is blogging! Hooray!