Sunday, August 22, 2010

The autographed books go to...

This is so fun! Here's where I get to give two autographed books to two of my followers! There's excitement in the air! (Plus something else: my dog Thistle just came into the room, and we all know he has trouble with digestion. That, however, isn't polite talk, so I really wish you guys would behave yourselves better and quit bringing it up.)

Let's start with THE ASTONISHING LIFE OF OCTAVIAN NOTHING, TRAITOR TO THE NATION, VOLUME I: THE POX PARTY by M.T. Anderson.


The winner is:
A.L. Sonnichsen!


Next, we'll move on to THE EARTH, MY BUTT, & OTHER BIG ROUND THINGS by Carolyn Mackler.



So right now I'm kind of wishing I could speak another language so I could say "the winner is" in a snazzy, non-English way, impressing all who stop by with my groovy international linguistic abilities. Alas, most of my Spanish knowledge from high school and college has thinned to sentences like "San Juan es la capital de Puerto Rico" and (or "y" for my Spanish-speaking friends) "Lupe es de Mexico." (And how do you make an accent mark in Blogger? Is there a way,
amigos del bloggo?) Well, I won't dwell. And I won't use Google Translate because that's kind of cheating, or as we say in my native tongue, "That's kind of cheating." So without rambling and delaying the second announcement, which we all know I wouldn't dream of because time is money and money is time, and--philosophy is such an interesting subject, isn't it? I really enjoyed my logic class in college, and the professor wrote the book we used in class. I think he was the first author I ever met. Which reminds me. . .I still have a book to give away. I wish you people would focus and stick to the subject. You seem kind of flighty today, but don't take it personally, because I have days like that, too. I know: it's shocking.

The winner of THE EARTH, MY BUTT, AND OTHER BIG ROUND THINGS is
Jennifer Shirk!

Congrats, ladies! Amy and Jennifer, please e-mail me with your mailing addresses so I can send you your books.


Possible discussion topics for today's post: You could congratulate today's winners, tell me how your writing is going, or share the names of recent books you've read that you enjoyed. If you speak more than one language, feel free to tell me how to say "the winner is" in another language. If you do so, please tell me what language it is and don't say something that really means "I wear kittens in my sleeves" so if I choose to quote you, we both look impressive. And like animal lovers.


Thank you, bloggy friends, for following and commenting. You guys rock. For reals.

11 comments:

Stephanie Thornton said...

Man, I wish I spoke another language, but I took Russian and Sign Language in school. Needless to say, you don't use it, you lose it.

But I'm looking into learning Spanish!

Congrats to the winners!

paulgreci said...

Congrats to the winners. I recently read and enjoyed Borderline by Allan Stratton.

Diane said...

Congrats to the winners! Even though my last name is spanish and I get Spanish telemarketers calling me all the time.... I have no impressive foreign language skills. I took German and Russian in high school and most has been deleted.... :O)

Jennifer Shirk said...

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm so super psyched! Thank you!! Look forward to the read for sure!

Jemi Fraser said...

Felicitations aux gagnants! (If my memory serves me correctly - that's congrats to the winners en francais :))

Sharon K. Mayhew said...

Congratulations to Jennifer and Amy!

I just Beta read two novels...that were awesome! The Iron Bodkin by Amy Allgeyer Cook and Killing Kessler by Susan Fields.

Wish I had something for you in another language...but I've got nothing...sorry. :(

A.L. Sonnichsen said...

Wode mao feichang keai! Nide ne?

That's Mandarin (written in pinyin, since I can't pull off the characters) for SOMETHING nice about cats. My little secret. :)

I am so thrilled that I won that book, Dawn! Yay, yay, yay!! Thank you so, so much. :)

Amy

Samantha Bennett said...

Hola chica! Okay, that's about all the Spanish I know. Congrats to Amy and Jennifer! Both those books are on my to-read list. :)

Molly Hall said...

Congrats to the winners! I am looking forward to reading both books. Dawn, what a joyful ending to our excellent adventure!

Amy Holder said...

Congrats to the winners! Awesome giveaway! :)

Hema P. said...

"Badhaii ho!" is "congratulations" in Hindi.

What a fun post, Dawn (even if I didn't win either of the two books ;-))!