Sunday, July 11, 2010

Weekend in Oregon

Jim, the kids, and I went to Portland for the weekend. We had so much fun! Remember those "How I Spent My Summer Vacation" assignments? This is my weekend, color photo version.

We took our very first trip to
Powell's.


It's so large, one of these is helpful.




We met someone uber famous!



(I'm fully aware it isn't the real Jimi Hendrix who, sadly, is no longer with us, but
at least I didn't pose with a cardboard cutout of a celeb. This time.)


Going to Voodoo Doughnut was also a highlight.



I was a bit horrified when my husband told me about the bacon maple bars at Voodoo Doughnut, but then I thought about how I love to dip bacon in maple syrup. My son and I each ordered a bacon maple bar.



I believe it was William Shakespeare who said, "The bacon maple bar is not to be judged; it is to be savored.
" (Okay, that's a lie. I just said it right now.)

Jim ordered a doughnut called the Voodoo Doll.



It has raspberry filling and a tiny pretzel stake.


My daughter ordered a doughnut with chocolate icing. I didn't take a picture because, you know, it was a doughnut with chocolate icing.


While we were away, I had extra time to read. I'm finally reading THE BOOK THIEF.



I have only fifty pages left, and I can't wait to read them! It's awesome, as many of you already know.


So how about you? Do you have any extra fun plans this summer? What are you reading? What would you choose: the bacon maple bar, the Voodoo Doll, or a chocolate doughnut?

17 comments:

Molly Hall said...

Looks like so much fun! I've always wanted to go to Powell's. And now you've got me thinking of all sorts of treats that mix salty and sweet! Yogurt pretzels, bacon donuts... french fries & ice cream. Yum!

Jemi Fraser said...

Looks like fun! I'd love to visit that book store.

Sorry - that bacon maple donut kind of makes me want to say ewww! I'd take the chocolate donut with your donut.

storyqueen said...

I'd take the bacon maple!! I saw that place on Man Vs Food a few weeks ago. Yum!

Ah...The Book Thief. Sigh.


Beautiful, tragic, beautiful book.

Shelley

Marsha Sigman said...

Ok the bacon maple bar is grossing me out.lol
I'ma gonna have to choose the chocolate donut although the voodoo doll is tempting.

Also we have all sorts of plans because we realized summer is half over and we need to get out more!!! We are in a panic now.lol

Diane said...

Yukky donuts to my taste buds..... Glad you had a great visit! :O)

Hema P. said...

I can tell you all know how to have fun, Dawn! Definitely the chocolate-covered voodoo doll for me. It looks really intriguing :).

Susan R. Mills said...

The bacon maple bar sounds yummy! I'm glad you had a good time. I'll be off to a family reunion of sort at the end of the month, but other than that, just enjoying little league baseball games.

Dawn Simon said...

Molly, I've wanted to go to Powell's for a long time too! And you're right about the salty and sweet thing. Yogurt covered pretzels are so yummy.

Jemi, no apologies necessary. :) My first thoughts ran along the same lines.

Go, Shelley! I wish you could taste one. It was crazy good. Too funny about the TV show! I finished THE BOOK THIEF last night. Wow. Loved it. Yes, beautiful and tragic. And so unique.

Marsha, hee! It's fun to hear what everyone would pick! I totally know what you mean about the plans. Our Oregon trip came to us about a month ago the same way; we realized summer was here and we didn't plan enough stuff!

Diane, should I have put a warning label on this post? ;) Yes, it was so fun!

Hema, the Voodoo Doll did look super good. I would have tasted it if I hadn't been busy devouring my bacon maple bar...

Susan, woo-hoo! Another vote for bacon maple bars! Have fun at the reunion and the little league games!

Susan Fields said...

That bacon maple bar sure sounds interesting, I'd probably give it a shot. I'm reading Catching Fire, the second book of The Hunger Games, right now, and I'm with you - I can't wait to finish it. But then I'll be sad because the third book doesn't come out until late August. I'm glad you had a great trip!

Jennifer Shirk said...

Oooh, my hubby would be all over that maple bar. I would choose the Voodoo one. :)
The only plans I have is next month. Taking the kidlet to Boston to see a Red Sox game at Fenway. Should be fun!

Dawn Simon said...

Susan, I can't wait for the third book either. At least you won't have to wait that long! Nice planning. :)

Jennifer, the beauty in that is you can taste both. (Darn, why didn't I put my bacon maple bar aside long enough to snag a bite of that Voodoo Doll when Jim offered?!) Yay for Boston and the Red Sox! I LOVE Boston--it's one of my favorite cities. Have a blast!

Samantha Bennett said...

I love your Hendrix pose! And, no worries, I've been known to pose with cardboard cutout celebrities too. :) I just finished Nicola and Viscount by Meg Cabbot. So fun!

Lydia Kang said...

Ha ha, I think I'd take the bacon Maple bar, but they all look good!

I've just started reading the Sky is Everywhere. So far so good!

Amy Tate said...

I've never had bacon with a doughnut before either! I've always wanted to see that part of the country. Maybe one day, I'll get out there. So glad you had a great trip!

Dawn Simon said...

Samantha, glad I'm not the only one who poses with cardboard cutouts. ;) I love Meg Cabot!

Lydia, I just read something about THE SKY IS EVERYWHERE. It sounds sooo good! I want to read it!

Amy, it was delish! Yes, Oregon is beautiful. I hope you get to see it for yourself.

Lola Sharp said...

Oh, I'd be all over those funky donuts! YUMMMM. That's my kind of place.

I'm reading Vineland by Thomas Pynchon right now... and critiquing a couple books for my CP's.

And you already know where my summer vacation took us. :)

Happy Summer!
Love,
Lola

Suma Subramaniam said...

I would choose the donuts!!
Hope you are having a good summer Dawn:-) My summer is extra special because I have my family visiting me all the way from India:-) True Happiness!