Saturday, June 5, 2010

Memorial Day Weekend, Children, and Workout Clothes

*Before I share a couple moments from Memorial Day Weekend, let me warn anyone with spandex allergies that this post contains spandex.*

When I woke up last Saturday, I got ready for a run. My husband asked me to help him find something in our files, so I went into the den. My son came in as I was searching through a drawer.

son: Is there a reason you're filing in spandex?
me:
I'm about to go for a run. I'm just helping Dad find something.
(Son leaves room complaining about having to wash his eyes because of the damage caused by seeing his mother in spandex.)



The next day, the whole family was in the car. We were talking about taking a train trip down to Portland this summer, but my husband said we should just drive since we'll need a car.

me (to husband): Why don't you take the train with the kids? I'll drive the car and meet you guys there.
daughter:
Can Mom FIND Portland?
(Kids and husband crack up laughing.)


And to think I taught those kids to speak. ;)


I should note some sappy stuff, too, since most of you don't know my family, and I don't want to give the wrong impression about them. Let me start by saying my husband and my kids take supportive to a whole new level. They arrange their schedules around my writing time and conferences without complaint. They stick with me through the ups and downs, and believe in me wholeheartedly. Whenever my son reads a book he enjoys, he looks in the acknowledgments for the agent's name and passes it to me. My daughter told me the way I never give up inspires her to do the same. I love them, love them, love them!


So why should I complain? I mean, spandex
is pretty creepy, and I can handle a little mocking. Besides, someday when I'm much older and wiser, I'll become a grandparent. You know what I'll do? I'll help teach my grandchildren to speak. I wonder what workout clothes will look like in the future...

13 comments:

Jemi Fraser said...

Paybacks are going to be fun! Maybe it's time to start keeping a file so you don't forget what some of the paybacks need to be :)

Sharon K. Mayhew said...

I hope that workout clothes in the future will make you look skinnier...

Dawn Simon said...

Hee! My husband and I love teasing with the kids. They're our whole world. <3

Kelly said...

We tease big time in our family. All in good fun!
Also, I am terrible with directions. The entire family including extended inlaws think I'm a bad driver/navigator. (but they say so diplomatically). I'm not offended, because I do get lost easily!

Solvang Sherrie said...

My husband is a jokester so there's a lot of teasing in this family :) But if anyone would get lost, it would be him. Not me. I have a built in compass to everywhere except my critique partner's house!

KLM said...

Too late!! I am allergic to Spandex!!!

OK, I just used my inhaler. I should be all right.

You have a family that should be dipped in gold, girl! Except that would be bad for them. At least that's what I saw on a Myth Busters episode.

My kids are still at the constantly-interrupting-me-until-I-want-to-pull-out-my-hair stage. Although recently they did start to refer to my little "office" as "mommy's working room." Progress, I suppose. But I hope my girls someday do stuff like that. I would just kiss them on their fuzzy little heads if they did:)

Susan Fields said...

My kids love to tease me about how much I nap...it's like a running joke around here. I guess there are worse things they could tease me about. :)

SAMUEL PARK said...

That is really wonderful that your family is so supportive--and also wonderful that your husband looks out for you. I think spandex is fine. Maybe we can bring it back--wasn't it all the rage in the 80s? That kind of synthetic fabric can look really cool. But as someone who is completely fashion-moronic, I wouldn't mind someone giving me some style tips. Thanks for the refreshingly personal post--I feel like I'm looking into your life as reality sitcom.

Molly Hall said...

SO FUNNY! Thanks for the peek into your life, Dawn.
(*mutters under her breath*): "Can Mom find Portland?" Of course she can!
Ha ha! Those kids have a sense of humor! You gotta use some of those jokes in your books! : )

Tory said...

Enjoyed reading your post and look forward to more! I, too, am a runner; other than writing, it's my therapy in life. My husband knows that if my tennis shoes are by the door, then it's been one of those days in which I NEED (must have) some quiet Mommy time! If time permits, I'd love for you to check out my blog. I'm only 2 away from the BIG 100! Have a great day.

Simon C. Larter said...

'Twould be nice to have the family arrange things around my writing/conference schedule. Maybe when the kids are older.

Also, I'm quite sure I'll traumatize my daughter and her friends when they're older with my cycling habit. Bike shorts were made for ridicule, but you sure don't want to be caught riding ten miles with a seam in the wrong place. Whoo!

:)

Dawn Simon said...

You guys are sweet--and very fun. For the record, my daughter's comment wasn't completely unfounded. I have no sense of direction. Still, Portland is pretty big, and I've been able to find it in the past. ;)

Suma Subramaniam said...

Dawn,

I really enjoyed reading your post. You have such a beautiful family that supports you and your writing.:-)

Best,
Suma.