Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Webinar with Agent Mark McVeigh

Mark McVeigh of The McVeigh Agency invited a group of his followers to participate in a webinar, and guess what?! I was one of the lucky followers! Squee! It was such a great experience, and I learned a ton. Plus it was fun!

Mark worked as an editorial director at Simon and Schuster before becoming an agent, so he definitely knows the industry. He also used to be a teacher, and (here's the part that sparked his webinar idea)
he misses teaching. Do you see where I'm going with this, bloggy friends? It was as if fortune smiled its shiny, little face upon me because an agent who used to be an editor and a teacher (important because Mark knows how to structure a class extremely well) invited me to participate in a webinar about publishing.

I could not reply "YES" fast enough.


It was an online interactive webinar led by Mark. He talked to us and we could ask questions. He spoke about the business side of things: getting an agent, getting an editor, and getting published. We could see him and he could see us, so it was all cozy and nice. He presented everything in this amazingly organized and interesting way while keeping tabs on us, just as a teacher would with students in a classroom. It was an uber cool opportunity, and I'm so happy I was able to take part in it.


Another benny? The other participants and I are staying in touch via email and blogs. (Hi, guys!) A critique group even formed out of it. Isn't that cool?


We writers who blog already know how the Internet can help us feel connected to the writing community beyond our critique groups, cities, states, regions, and even countries. This experience is another perfect example of that, and I appreciate how Mark McVeigh and the other participants made it so special. Thanks, guys.

21 comments:

Stephanie Thornton said...

I'm bummed I missed this! I got Mark's email, but being in Alaska the times simply didn't mesh. Darn!

I'm glad you enjoyed- it sounds like it was really informative!

Dawn Simon said...

Stephanie, I'm sorry you missed it too! It was great!

Hilary Wagner ~ Writer said...

Dawn, that sounds amazing AND helpful! How very cool!

xoxo -- Hilary

B.J. Anderson said...

Oh, wow! That is soooo awesome! He seems like such a nice guy.

Arnold said...

I recently came across your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I don’t know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.

Alena

http://dataentryjob-s.com

Jemi Fraser said...

What a great opportunity! He seems like such a helpful & friendly person. I bet you learned tons of stuff :)

Wendy Paine Miller said...

What a connection to have experienced.
~ Wendy

storyqueen said...

Marh McVeigh is a class act, that's the truth.

Shelley

Kelly said...

Great writeup on an amazing experience! I'm so glad to be a part of it!

Travener said...

So, what pearls of wisdom did you come away with?

Dawn Simon said...

Hilary, it really was!

B.J., thanks for coming to my blog! :) He's really nice so it was a super positive experience.

Thanks, Alena.

Jemi, it was an incredible opportunity. He is helpful and friendly--and organized. :)

Wendy, yeah, I know what you mean. One thing I like about conferences, workshops, or other places where you get a chance to connect with agents and editors is you see the human beings behind the names. Plus, with the webinar, I was able to connect with other writers in a unique way.

Shelley, you're right!

Kelly, we lucked out!

Travener, oodles! :)

Susan Fields said...

I love your write up, Dawn! We were so lucky, weren't we? Mark did such a wonderful job, and we got to meet some great fellow bloggers! :)

Dawn Simon said...

Thanks, Susan! It was awesome! And I'm so glad to have met all of you!

Hema P. said...

Great post, Dawn! I learned a lot, too, from Mark's webinar, and am happy to have met so many like-minded writers as a bonus! :)

Molly Hall said...

Sounds wonderful, Dawn! I'm so happy for you! I love anything that connects writers. Hope you carry the inspiration with you for a long time! : )

Dawn Simon said...

Hema, it was awesome!

Thanks, Molly. I will!

Amy Holder said...

What a wonderful experience! I'm so happy you've made so many connections through it. Sounds like a great time!

Dawn Simon said...

Thanks, Amy! It was!

Sharon K. Mayhew said...

Great write up, Dawn! It was a wonderful experience. :) I'm so glad I was lurking on twitter at the exact right momment...

Dawn Simon said...

Thanks, Sharon. We definitely lucked out! :)

prashant said...

that sounds amazing AND helpful! How very cool!
home jobs india