Sunday, May 2, 2010

Henry Winkler Book Event

My family and I heard actor/director/producer/children's author Henry Winkler give a talk today, and it was great! HANK ZIPZER: A BRAND-NEW ME! is the seventeenth (and final) book in his Hank Zipzer series about the "World's Greatest Underachiever."

Henry Winkler writes with
Lin Oliver, and they make a great team. Lin Oliver, for those of you who don't already know, started SCBWI with Stephen Mooser, and she's awesome. I've heard her speak, and she is one of those people you immediately like and wish you could go to coffee with. So if you add that up--the whole starting SCBWI thing plus the instant likability
and the fact that she's uber funny--you get a ginormous WOW from me. Lin Oliver wasn't there today; Henry Winkler presented on his own, and he was fabulous!

HANK ZIPZER: A BRAND-NEW ME!
by Henry Winkler and Lin Oliver


Winkler and the protagonist in the series, Hank Zipzer, are both dyslexic. In fact, many of Hank's struggles come straight out of Mr. Winkler's life. Mr. Winkler spoke about his childhood, his struggles with school, and his life now. He spoke beautifully and shared hilarious stories. Hearing him was like listening to a stand-up comedian with a fabulous message emphasizing tenacity and gratitude. One of my favorite parts was the way he spoke to the children in the audience, especially when they asked questions. He didn't talk down to them, but treated them with warmth and respect. I was so impressed with his kindness. I also loved the way he talked about writing, and how he clearly puts so much heart into his books.

Henry Winkler reading from the latest Hank Zipzer book

If you have the opportunity to hear Henry Winkler speak, don't miss it. And bring your kids. With or without the leather jacket, the man is incredibly cool.

18 comments:

Diane said...

Awesome treat to hear him speak and meet him. :O)

www.dianeestrella.com

Jemi Fraser said...

He's done such a lot with his fame - you can sure tell a lot about a person when you look at what their priorities are. He's a good man! Lucky you :)

Kelly said...

That sounds like an amazing event! And wow to coauthor with a cofounder of SCBWI - what a team!

Marsha Sigman said...

OMG! I can't believe you had a chance to meet him and get a picture! I love Henry Winkler, he seems so nice and down to earth.

And there was and never will be anyone cooler than The Fonz.

Susan Fields said...

I've always liked him - with or without the leather jacket. :) I'm so glad you got the opportunity to hear him speak - very cool!

Dawn Simon said...

Thanks for the comments. Yeah, it was super fun to hear him and meet him. Great guy.

Molly Hall said...

"Ayyy!" I love the Fonz! (That "ayy" was my attempt to do my impression of him in writing... I'm guessing it may not translate!) This is so cool, Dawn. I really want to check out his books now! Thanks for sharing this.

Lydia Sharp said...

How fun!

Travener said...

The world's greatest underachiever -- I'm at least in the running for that title. Sounds like you had fun!

SWK said...

So jealous. Sounds like it was a great event.

Hema P. said...

I haven't read any of the books written by Henry Winkler (somehow I still feel amazed that Fonzie can write books :)), but you sure sold them to me, Dawn. Sounds like a great experience, hearing him speak. Thanks for sharing it with us!

Arnold said...

I recently came accross your blog and have been reading along. I thought I

would leave my first comment. I dont know what to say except that I have

enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.

Alena

http://dataentryjob-s.com

Becky Levine said...

So jealous! I have a serious fan crush on Henry Winkler, and it's not because of the Fonz. (okay, MOSTLY not!):) I love the Hank Zipzer books.

Niki said...

What a gorgeous photo of you. I loved him as the Fonz hehe

ps I tagged you... sorry :o)

Dawn Simon said...

Niki, no need to apologize. I don't mind being tagged. Besides, if I had minded, the part where you called the photo "gorgeous" would have more than made up for it. Hee! ;)

KLM said...

OK, sure, I was a big Fonzie fan. Had a poster of him in my room. I admit it. But I am a much bigger fan of his work on Clifford's Puppy Days.

Thanks for visiting my blog and for the congrats. I appreciate it very much. :)

Jennifer K. Mann said...

So I see you got an excellent picture, but did you ask him the important questions??!!??
And yes, to your email request. But maybe wait till I've got some other good news.
Nice to pop in and read what you are up to! See you soon.
J

prashant said...

That sounds like an amazing event
home jobs india