Sunday, April 18, 2010

SCBWI Western Washington Conference 2010, Part II

I enjoyed all my sessions at the conference, but I'd like to focus my second post on the social side of things. Let's face it: a very cool aspect of conferences is just hanging out with so many like-minded people.

I roomed with my buddy
Brenda Olson. We roomed together last year, too, and we had a blast both times! We met a while back--when I don't even know--volunteering for a writers' community, Field's End. Brenda is awesome. She's a wonderful friend.



Nancy Coffelt came, and it was so special seeing her again. While we'd kept in touch via email, I hadn't seen her since we met in 2007. Nancy is an amazing artist, illustrator, and author. I love her blog--the art and the words.





Nancy and I together; Nancy's book LISTEN












Here is a group of us at the wine and cheese reception during the Juried Art Portfolio Show.



From left to right: me,
Stasia Kehoe, Sara Nickerson, and Jolie Stekly.


Suzanne Selfors was also there. She writes middle grade and YA, and she's a total sweetheart. I wish we'd taken a picture together! Darn it! Oh, well. Instead, I'll show you the adorable cover of her book SMELLS LIKE DOG.




I was extremely excited to meet
Molly Hall in person for the very first time. Molly and I are blog soul sisters. When I had my first blog contest, Molly's name was drawn and I asked her to email me her address. I was super surprised to see she lives in the Pacific Northwest. We exchanged a few emails and found we had a ton of stuff in common. It was cool because, even though we'd never met in person, I just knew I'd really like her!

Fast forward to last weekend. When someone called my name at the KidLit Drink Night, I turned around and there was Molly! It was so fun, you guys! We talked and I got to meet some of her friends. We continued bumping into each other and even sat together in one of the sessions. Then guess what happened?! On Sunday they announced the names of a group of people some of the faculty members felt had the most promising works-in-progress. Molly's name was called! Yay, Molly! Congratulations!


Here Molly and I are the night we met:



If you haven't already, check out Molly's blog. It's like reading sunshine. :)


I met another bloggy friend for the first time last weekend: Ben Watson! He was one of my very first followers! When I was just starting my blog, he'd come and comment, which made me feel like someone was listening. Thanks, Ben! After we met at the conference, we kept seeing each other. We meant to take a picture together, but we never got around to it. Bummer. Next time, Ben!


Seeing writer friends, new and old, was one of my favorite parts of the conference. I'll have to take more pictures at the next one!

18 comments:

Stephanie Thornton said...

Wow! It sounds like you had an amazing time- I'm so glad you got to go to the conference!

Niki said...

One day people will be putting a picture of your book on their blog :o)

Caroline Starr Rose said...

This is one of my favorite parts of conferences, too. Meeting new people, reconnecting with old friends, and hanging out with like-minded folks feeds me.

Tara said...

Yea fro the conference. Sounds like you had a really geat time!

Nancy Coffelt said...

Hey! Someone finally got a photo of me where my eyes are open. :)

It was a lot of fun, wasn't it?

Jennifer Shirk said...

Aww...so fun!! Love the pics!!

Molly Hall said...

Aw, Dawn! YOU are my total sunshine! It was SUCH a treat to meet you and hang out together at the conference. I love this picture of us. We look so glam!
: ) Looking forward to lots more fun together.

Travener said...

Sounds like fun. I'm envious.

Marsha Sigman said...

It sounds and looks like you had a great time!

Susan Fields said...

That sounds like so much fun! I would love to meet some of my blogging buddies! Hopefully someday...

Tahereh said...

omg so cool! looks like you had a blast!! :D

Lisa and Laura said...

Sounds like an amazing conference! I'm jealous! I can't wait to go to conferences and meet fun writer friends!

Kat O'Keeffe said...

Sounds like a great conference! Makes me all the more eager to get to one myself!

Dawn Simon said...

Thanks for the comments. You guys are great! :)

Roland D. Yeomans said...

Working as a blood courier as I do, I will probably never make it to such a conference. Thanks, Dawn, for helping me feel part of it, Roland

beth said...

It sounds like you had a great time!

Amy Holder said...

Thanks for sharing all the great pictures! I'm so glad you had such an amazing time!

prashant said...

I'm so glad you got to go to the conference!
home jobs india