Sunday, March 21, 2010

What I'm Reading

I love getting book recommendations from my kids because:
a. They have great taste.

b. It means they're reading.

c. Each book we share is one more thing we have in common.


My son, who reads way faster than I do, told me I should read
THE LOOKING GLASS WARS by Frank Beddor.


It's the first book in The Looking Glass Wars trilogy. Here's the blurb from the back of the book:


The Myth

Alice Liddel was an ordinary girl who stepped through the looking glass and entered a fairy-tale world invented by Lewis Carroll in his famo
us storybook.
The Truth

Wonderland is real. Alyss Heart is the heir to the throne, until her murderous aunt Redd steals the crown and kills Alyss's parents. To escape Redd, Alyss and her bodyguard, Hatter Madigan, must flee to our world through the Pool of Tears. But in the pool Alyss and Hatter are separated. Lost and alone in Victorian London, Alyss is befriended by an aspiring author, to whom she tells the violent, heartbreaking story of her young life. Yet he gets the story all wrong. Hatter Madigan knows the truth only too well, and he is searching every corner of our world to find the lost princess and return her to Wonderland so she may battle Redd for her rightful place as the Queen of Hearts.


I really enjoyed it. I also felt the gorgeous illustrations in the middle of the book helped set the tone for Beddor's fantasy world. While I was at the bookstore last week, I ordered my son the next book, SEEING REDD. Of course, I may have to borrow it. ;)

I haven't seen the Tim Burton/Johnny Depp version of ALICE IN WONDERLAND yet, but remember this?





Just yesterday, I finished
PAPER TOWNS by John Green.



OMG, people. At a future date, I'm probably going to have to do a whole post on John Green. I kept hearing about his awesomeness and had PAPER TOWNS on my long-and-always-shifting to-be-read list, but it took me this long to get to it. Now his other books are needs, not wants. Yeah, he's that good. Here's the blurb for PAPER TOWNS:

Who is the real Margo? Quentin Jacobson has spent a lifetime loving the magnificently adventurous Margo Roth Spiegelman from afar. So when she cracks open a window and climbs into his life--dressed like a ninja and summoning him for an ingenious campaign of revenge--he follows. After their all-nighter ends, and a new day breaks, Q arrives at school to discover that Margo, always an enigma, has now become a mystery. But Q soon learns that there are clues--and they're for him. Urged down a disconnected path, the closer he gets, the less Q sees the girl he thought he knew...


That John Green...I'm his newest fan.

How about you guys? Have you read either of these books? What are you reading?

22 comments:

Stephanie L. McGee said...

I may have to try Looking Glass Wars. I've been trying lately to find a book that will just grab me and not let go. It hasn't been happening.

Jen said...

I'll have to look into these books! Oh you must see Alice in Wonderland it was wonderful!!! I am waiting for The Body Finder right now and just trying to work hard on my WIP which has most of my thoughts for the time being!

Jemi Fraser said...

Those 2 sound great. I'm never going to get through my to-be-read pile! It keeps growing and growing :)

Karen Akins said...

They both look great! I just finished ("engulfed" might be a better word) Hunger Games. Yes, the Hunger Games that everyone and their granny has already read. I knew I'd love it, so I wanted to wait until at least the first 2 were out and the 3rd had a release date. :)

It didn't disappoint.

Molly Hall said...

Oh yes, I just finished Hunger Games and Catching Fire. They were beyond excellent. Satisfying. Exciting. Absorbing. Fantastic!
Dawn, thank you for the book recommendations. I really want to check out both those books!
Right now I am reading "Forest Born" by Shannon Hale. It is set in the same world as The Goose Girl and Enna Burning and River Secrets, but it has a totally different feel. So far I like it, but am not carried away like I was in the other books. I have a feeling it will get better. She never disappoints.
Also on my list of "to reads": Peter and the Starcatchers, Saving Juliet, and Thirteen Reasons Why. CAN'T believe I haven't read that one yet.

Stephanie Thornton said...

I picked up the Looking Glass Wars the other day, but put it down. My TBR pile is just too darned big- I've got to knock some books out of the pile before I buy any more.

Dawn Simon said...

Stephanie M., that's a bummer. I hope you like THE LOOKING GLASS WARS! I totally did! And that John Green...

Jen, I really do want to see it! Awesome that you're working so hard on your WIP! When I'm at a spot in a WIP where I'm tying all the strings together or I'm reading through for flow, I have to put everything else on hold, too. Good luck! :)

Jemi, mine is always growing, too! Plus I'll often switch the order, either because I have to research something or another shiny object (different book) snags my attention. Sometimes it's just that a library book I've been waiting for comes in. So many great books out there... :)

Karen, lol about the granny comment. ;) The Hunger Games books are great! Good planning, reading them back to back to not-that-far-from-the-release-date. I reread a few of the Harry Potters to refresh my memory for the next books. I quit doing that after book four, though.

Molly, the Hunger Games books are all those things! :) And you're very welcome. I haven't read Shannon Hale yet, but you keep making me think I should! PETER AND THE STARCATCHERS and THIRTEEN REASONS WHY are both on my TBR list. I already read and adored SAVING JULIET (and not just because I like Suzanne!). It's one of those books that makes you think about it later--in a nice way. :)

Stephanie T., I sometimes feel like I need to chip away at mine before adding anything else to it, too.

Jennifer Shirk said...

No, I haven't read these, but they sound good.
I have a few books on my TBR pile but I haven't decided which to read yet.

Kristen Torres-Toro said...

Good for you!

I haven't read either of these books... right now I'm reading one of James Scott Bell's novels, "Sins of the Fathers".

Solvang Sherrie said...

Looking Glass Wars looks really good. I love books that play with well known stories or myths.

I'm reading about five books right now, depending on what mood I'm in :)

Rosslyn Elliott said...

I'm glad you summarized Looking Glass Wars. I've heard of it, but not in detail!

I need to read something really good. Time to start browsing my Kindle.

Patti said...

I haven't read either. Right now I'm taking a break from reading because it really takes over my life.

SWK said...

I'm a huge John Green fan, too. Absolutely loved AN ABUNDANCE OF KATHERINES and have PAPER TOWNS on my nightstand right now (unfortunately, about five books down but I'll get there). Sharing books with my kids is one of my great joys. Love hearing about your experiences with this, Dawn!

Dawn Simon said...

Jennifer, it's always fun picking the next book!

Kristen, I haven't read that. I hope you're enjoying it!

Sherrie, I often have one fiction and one nonfiction (for research) going at once, and I'll read or pick through craft books. But Sherrie, five books?! Wow. Your brain must work better than mine does. :)

Rosslyn, Congrats on your big news!! I'm so excited for you! :) I still don't have a Kindle or Kindle-like object. Enjoy!

Patti, that's too bad.

Stasia, when I was visiting your blog last week, I saw we were both reading John Green. Hee! You'll love PAPER TOWNS. Yeah, I love sharing books with my kids, too. Kids rock. <3

Niki said...

aww Dawn, isn't that lovely about Chester haha. That would have to make you feel very special!

I've bought The Forest of Hands and Teeth, and Bad Girls Don't Die.

They are being saved for my winter reading. :o)

Dawn Simon said...

Hi, Niki! Chester is a funny one. I want to read THE FOREST OF HANDS AND TEETH! I heard the editor who acquired it speak about it before it even came out and it was instantly on my TBR list. Yet I still haven't hit it. I will, though! I just now watched the trailer for BAD GIRLS DON'T DIE. It looks really good! And if it isn't uber scary, I want to read that, too! Zombies and ghosts...why I'm thinking the ghosts will be scarier, I don't know. Maybe because I jumped during the trailer? Your winter reading, huh? ;) I picture New Zealand to be so beautiful.

beth said...

I've read both of them. LOVE John Green. But the Looking Glass Wars fell flat for me. Don't know why. I like the concept, but there's something in the writing that turned me off.

I just finished reading The Eternal Ones, though, and loved it!

Paul Greci said...

I read Paper Towns, really enjoyed it.

I just finished reading Drop City, by T.C. Boyle. It's about a 1970's California commune that relocates to the banks of the Yukon River. Cool book!!

Dawn Simon said...

Beth, bummer about THE LOOKING GLASS WARS. I'll have to hit John Green's other books before too long. As I said: needs. I plan to start with LOOKING FOR ALASKA then read AN ABUNDANCE OF KATHERINES. In the meantime, a book I've been waiting for just arrived for me at the library. :) THE ETERNAL ONES sounds great, but it isn't being released until August, correct? Or do I have the wrong ETERNAL ONES?! How cool if you got a galley!

Paul, another vote for PAPER TOWNS! :) I haven't read DROP CITY, but it sounds interesting. And with you being from Alaska... ;) Thanks for the book recommendation.

Lisa and Laura said...

Oh, I'm so jealous that you get book recommendations from your kids! I can't wait until mine are old enough to tell me what I need to be reading.

Jackee said...

Those are both on my reading list. I just finished Princess for Hire by Lindsey Leavitt today and it's cute and funny and very much perfect for the tween audience. (Or at least my inner tween enjoyed it!)

Thanks for stopping by my blog so that I could find your awesome one!

Dawn Simon said...

Lisa and Laura, it's the best! You'll love it! Though I shouldn't say it's the best because I equally treasure the memories of the days when they would try and gum their board books and the days with the other books that came between then and now. My daughter went through this GOODNIGHT MOON phase that had me constantly checking the book out of the library. I finally bought two copies for the house. You'll see how cool this time really is, though! Super exciting!

Jackee, PRINCESS FOR HIRE sounds great! And thanks for the return visit! :)