Tuesday, March 2, 2010

The Creative Writer Blogger Award


It's time to come clean and tell you which items on my list are truths and which are lies. I'm going to do this Stephanie Thornton-style, showing you my list again, but this time with commentary.

Here we go:


1. Just after making the cut for the 1984 U.S. Olympic team (equestrian), I fell off my horse and dislocated my shoulder. I was dropped from the team. Since the Olympics took place in L.A. that year and I lived in L.A. County, I was able to go and cheer on my friends. Lie! Reality: I took horseback riding lessons in eighth grade and loved the Black Stallion series. Is it just me or is my truth slightly less impressive than my Olympics whopper? ;)

2. My mom and a few friends met JFK. Even though he only talked to them for a few minutes, a photo of them together came out in a magazine about twenty years later. Truth! Isn't that way cool?! My mom, from Boston, was a nurse. She was with some of her friends who were also nurses. Someone was rushing Mr. Kennedy (I believe it was just before or just after he became president) along, but he said he first wanted to talk to the group of nurses from Boston. He was very friendly and sweet, talked with them a few minutes, then left for wherever he was headed. Years passed. We all knew the story from my mom, but it was wild when a picture popped up in a magazine in the eighties!

3. When I was four, I modeled shoes for the Sears catalog. I did this for two months, but I got fired when I started throwing tantrums. Lie!

4. I performed in three parades at Disneyland. Truth! Our high school marching band, drill team, tall flag team, and rifle squad performed there every winter. I guess this is where I tell you that I twirled a rifle in high school. Don't laugh--our uniforms were pretty cute. Well, our competition uniforms were completely dorky, but we wore cheerleader-style uniforms to football games. Anyway, after performing in the parade, we had free admission for the rest of the day!

5. My cousin Paul played a corpse on NCIS in 2008. Lie! And who the heck is Cousin Paul?!

6. I have a bobblehead collection. Some of my favorites: Rodney Dangerfield (CADDYSHACK edition), the Kraft Macaroni and Cheese dinosaur, and thin Elvis. Lie! My son owns a few sports bobbleheads, but that's about it.

7. They had to stop the escalator at Mall of America because my shoelace got caught. Lie! But couldn't you totally see that happening to me?


Now that I'm done with the award, you can trust me again. Honest. :)

21 comments:

destrella said...

Funny list. Very convincing lies! :O)

Julie Dao said...

That's so fun!! The truths can sometimes sound even more amazing than the lies :) I loved reading your list and had so much fun with this award, thanks for giving it to me!

Kristen Torres-Toro said...

Ha! That's great! So fun!

Marsha Sigman said...

LOL. This was great...although I am a little disappointed about Cousin Paul.

T. Anne said...

Wow, how cool is it that your mom met JFK? I have no coolness like that in my family. Although my uncle once shook Elvis' hand.

Dawn Simon said...

Thanks, Diane!

Julie (or should I call you Mulan?), I like your list, too! I'm curious about the Mulan thing, obviously! I'm glad you had fun with the award!

Thanks, Kristen!

Marsha, that Cousin Paul...he's such a disappointment. ;) Having a relative play a corpse on that show would be awesome and creepy at the same time, wouldn't it?

T. Anne, that's pretty darn cool! I, after all, just "lied" about having a bobblehead of Elvis! ;)

Jemi Fraser said...

I really stink at guessing these! Good job :)

Niki said...

awwww no corpse :o( hehe well at least I got #2 *woohoo* This award is fun!

Belle said...

Very fun list! When you find out who cousin Paul is, tell him he was very convincing. :)

Jessica said...

Yep, I totally believed the shoelace thing.

Jessica said...

Whoops, hit send too soon.
What I meant was, I totally believed it was possible and the truth. LOL
Very cool story about Kennedy!

Dawn Simon said...

Jemi, I'm no good at it, either. I've been totally wrong on other people's blogs!

Hi, Niki! Hee! It is fun!

Belle, I'll tell him. ;)

Jessica, the shoelace was my daughter's idea. She's hilarious!

Natalie said...

Some great lies there Dawn, but that is pretty awesome about JFK and wouldn't every child love to be in parades at Disneyland!?! How cool.

Michelle said...

Fun! lol great list :)

Amy Holder said...

LOL! You're a good liar...er, I mean creative writer! What a fun list! Your lies were really convincing, or maybe I'm just really gullible.

I love that the JFK story is the truth. Does your mother have the magazine?

Dawn Simon said...

Thanks, Natalie and Michelle! :)

Amy, my parents have the magazine somewhere. And thanks for thinking I'm a good liar--I think. ;) (I'm actually not good at it, but I'm glad I was convincing!)

Jennifer Shirk said...

Oh, my gosh, I would have totally believed #7!

Anastasia said...

Its good practice!

Carolina Valdez Miller said...

Wow, you did an amazing job with your whoppers!! Nice one. And how cool is it that your mom met JFK??? Holy catfish.

Donna Gambale said...

Excellent lies! I'm convinced my shoelace will one day get caught in an escalator.

Dawn Simon said...

You guys crack me up! How funny that so many of us can totally see the escalator thing happening! That one was my daughter's idea! :)