Sunday, February 7, 2010

The "My-Followers-Rock-so-Someone's-Winning-an-Autographed-Copy-of-a-Book-that-Won-the-Printz" Contest

Even though I still haven't done the second post about the SCBWI Winter Conference, it's time for my first ever blog contest! Squee! I'm really excited about this! To celebrate having 100 followers, I am giving away an autographed copy of Libba Bray's GOING BOVINE! Isn't that cool?! Here's a picture of me with Libba Bray last weekend, seconds after getting the book signed.



Libba and Dawn, BFFs

Okay, she doesn't actually know me at all, but I bet she'd like me--at least a little--if she did. Don't ya think?

Anyway
, here are my contest rules:
1. Followers who comment on
this post before the close of the contest are automatically entered.
2. You must be a follower to enter, and each follower can enter only once.

3. If you're not already a follower, you can start following now! (my shameless attempt at follower gathering)

4. The contest closes on Wednesday, February 10th, at 6:00 pm PST. I'll jump into the comments at approximately that time to officially shut things down.

5. I retain the right to change the rules if I realize I screwed up and didn't think of everything I should have. ;)


What's the book about, you ask? Here's the flap copy:


All sixteen-year-old Cameron wants is to get through high school--and life in general--with a minimum of effort. It's not a lot to ask. But that's before he's given some bad news: he's sick and he's going to die. Which totally sucks.


Hope arrives in the winged form of Dulcie, a loopy punk angel/possible hallucination with a bad sugar habit. She tells Cam there is a cure--if h
e's willing to go in search of it. With the help of Gonzo, a death-obsessed, video-gaming dwarf, and a yard gnome who just might be the Viking god Balder, Cam sets off on the mother of all road trips through a twisted America of smoothie-drinking happiness cults, parallel-universe-hopping physicists, mythic New Orleans jazz musicians, whacked-out television game shows, snow-globe vigilantes, and disenfranchised, fame-hungry teens into the heart of what matters most.

From
New York Times bestselling author Libba Bray comes a dark comedic journey that poses the questions: Why are we here? What is real? What makes microwave popcorn so good? Why must we die? And how do we really learn to live?


Wow! I really doubt anyone would dare say, "That's been done." I've been working on my synopsis (again) this weekend, and the GOING BOVINE flap copy just gave me some serious synopsis envy.


My friend Debra got all excited about my contest and wanted to help.
She volunteered to step in as quality control. This cracked us up, of course, because I am rather law-abiding, but nothing is too good for you people. I wonder if I should get Debra a whistle so she can officially officiate the My-Followers-Rock-so-Someone's-Winning-an-Autographed-Copy-of-a-Book-that-Won-the-Printz Contest. Whistles equal power, after all. But will all that power go to Debra's head? Hmm...so much to think about.



32 comments:

Jemi Fraser said...

This sounds like an awesome book - definitely unique :)

Great contest idea!

Jonathon Arntson said...

Wow, this is certainly at the top of list of best contests ever! I am so excited to be entered. I have the book from the library, but I have two books ahead of it, so...could be cool.

Carolina Valdez Miller said...

Oh, yes, yes, yes! Count me in! I wish I could have gone to this conference.

Roni @ FictionGroupie said...

Congrats on the 100 peeps and thanks for the contest!

Jen said...

How exciting!! Yay for me being a follower!!! Love the fact that you added you could change the rules if screwing up!! Cracked me up!

Diane said...

I can't say I've ever read anything quite like it. Sounds like an interesting read! :O)

Travener said...

So all I have to do is comment? That's it? No points for cleverness/relevancy/uniqueness or nuthin'? Cool. Consider me entered.

In other news, congrats on the 100 followers. I thought I was doing pretty well with 33. Now I see I have to shoot higher.

Cindy said...

Congrats on the followers--100 woohoo!

You're right about that synopsis, pretty good stuff.

Niki said...

um I dont know if I'm allowed to enter being down-under, but I just wanted to say congrats on the 100 followers :o))

Caroline Starr Rose said...

Congrats! Sign me up.

Dawn Simon said...

This is so much fun!

Travener, no points--I'm keeping it simple.

Niki, you're entered. :)

Nicole Ducleroir said...

Ever since seeing the cover of this book, I've wanted to read it. -- Looking forward to getting my nose in it! (*crosses fingers to win a signed copy*) Congrats on your 100+ followers :)

Happy Super Bowl Sunday!!

Angie said...

Congrats on 100 followers! Glad I'm one of them. Sounds like a fun book.

Abby Annis said...

Cool contest! This is on my TBR list, but I don't have it yet. A signed copy would be awesome! :)

Congrats on reaching 100!

Molly H said...

Yeah Dawn! What a good idea! May I say that you got to 100 followers very fast? What's your secret? You're a dynamo. Now, back to business, I need that book! I've wanted to read it since I saw the HI-larious book trailer. Picture me in the scene in Chorus Line singing, "God I hope I get it. I hope I get it!" ; )

Tamika: said...

Sounds like a great book! Count me in, and congratulations on 102 followers!

Paul Greci said...

Great book title. I've been reading about it for a while. Good luck with your synopsis writing.

storyqueen said...

I've got synopsis envy, too!

Shelley

Kristen Torres-Toro said...

That's awesome! What a great concept!

Belle said...

Congrats on 100 followers! I don't use the blogger follow system, but I do have you in my Google Reader (under Must Reads!!) ;) I've been reading some reviews of Going Bovine, and it sounds like a great book.

KM said...

I've been wanting to read this book for a while. It sounds awesome. And congrats on the 100 followers! :)

Deb@RGRamblings said...

Congrats on hitting the 100 mark! The book sounds awesome - I'm lovin' the whole bovine cover art thing :)

Julie Dao said...

That is so cool that you met Libba Bray! :) I read "A Great and Terrible Beauty" last year and really enjoyed it. Congratulations on hitting 100 followers, what a great milestone!

Jennifer Shirk said...

Wow, what a unique premise!
Sign me up to enter!
And congrats on 100 followers!

SWK said...

Who wouldn't want to sign up for the chance to learn life's lessons from a yard gnome courtesy of Libba Bray's fabulous prose? I'm in. Moo :)

Lisa and Laura said...

OMG, dying to read this book! And a signed copy? Total dream come true! Good luck to everyone!

Anissa said...

Oh! I'm in. I love her. She did this hilarious promo video for Going Bovine that is just pure awesomeness. Fingers crossed!

Marsha Sigman said...

AHA...I squeaked in! Because I shamelessly wish to win ALL contests. And your blog is awesome!

Dawn Simon said...

Hi, Everyone!

I'm closing the contest now. We'll draw a name tomorrow and I'll announce the winner in a new post on Thursday night or Friday.

I'm so happy people got excited about the contest! :)

Susan R. Mills said...

Well, dang it! I missed it. That book is on my tbr list. I guess I'll just have to go buy it!

jdcoughlin said...

Your blog is awesome. And that was a great contest idea. I haven't even heard of this book (am I that out of it?) but I love the title. I will definitely be checking it out! AND such a good synopsis!

Anastasia said...

I'm sad I missed the contest ;(