Sunday, January 24, 2010

New York State of Mind

The SCBWI Winter Conference is this week! It'll be awesome.


On Friday, I'll be attending the Writers' Intensive. Participants will be placed in small groups, each led by an agent or an editor. There will be one morning session and one afternoon session. We'll get the first 500 words of our manuscripts read and critiqued at each. I'm so excited! I hope they like my pages. Cross fingers! The big thing, obviously, is just getting feedback. I can hear what industry professionals think of my new and improved beginning before querying and revise accordingly. Priceless.


The rest of the conference looks really cool, too. SCBWI conferences always offer so much information and inspiration; I can't wait to soak it up, bring it home, and apply it to my projects.

It sounds like a bunch of people from my region, SCBWI-WWA, will be there. I also hope to meet some of my bloggy friends in person. I'll bring my camera and take pictures to share with everyone.



Have a great week!

21 comments:

Tabitha Bird said...

Enjoy and keep us posted if you can. I'd love to hear how it all goes when you get back. All the best with those pages.

Kimberly Franklin said...

Lucky you! I want to go to NY! : )

Good luck at your conference.

Happy Monday!

Corey Schwartz said...

Oh, wow, Dawn, have a great time!!!

Susan R. Mills said...

Have a wonderful time. I can't wait to hear all about it when you return.

Paul Greci said...

Dawn, have a great time! And that is great timing for your novel. I hope they love the pages and I hope any feedback you get is helpful. Can't wait to hear how it goes!

Travener said...

Cool. Have fun.

Lydia Sharp said...

Lucky you! Can't wait to hear about your adventures.

Dawn Simon said...

Thanks for all the positive wishes. :) I'll be sure to post about my NY adventure when I get back!

Diane said...

Hope all goes well and you learn lots!!! :O)

www.dianeestrella.com

Kristen Torres-Toro said...

Ooh--have a great time! I hope it's something wonderful comes of it!

Cuppa Jolie said...

See you there, Dawn! Maybe you'll be the lucky person to my left (could lightning strike three times?).

(and if it makes no sense, I'll have to tell you the story in nyc)

Can't wait!

Dawn Simon said...

Note: keep Jolie to my right at all times. ;)

Rosslyn Elliott said...

Have fun! NYC will be exciting!

Natalie said...

YAY! I hope to see you there!

Jen said...

ENJOY!!! I am super excited for all of you... a little jealous, but I know that maybe the next round I'll get to go and see some bloggy friends!!!

I look forward to future posts :)

Shelli said...

im so jealous!

YA Highway said...

It was really fun meeting you at the kidlit drink night! --Kaitlin

Sierra Godfrey said...

Can't wait to hear about it!

Abby Annis said...

I missed the send-off, but I hope you had a blast and learned a lot! I'll be checking back for all the details. :)

jdcoughlin said...

I can't wait to hear how it went. I've read a few others blogging about it and it sounds like it was a tremendous success. Did you meet a lot of other writers and get some great tips? I read that the speaker on authenticity in writing was terrific.

Details!

Dawn Simon said...

Judith, I met so many really nice writers and received tons of info! I'm doing a couple posts on it, but another great place for the deets is the SCBWI Team Blog. :)