Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Literary Fame?

I'm kind of famous. Okay, maybe that's a stretch. How about famous in my own mind? See, my mentor and dear friend Sheila Roberts named half a character after me in ANGEL LANE, a book that made Amazon's Top Ten Best of Romance 2009! The character's name is Dawn Schoemaker. One of my critique buddies, Martha Schoemaker, was the inspiration for the last name.

Martha Schoemaker

Sheila says it's not that exciting because the character is just a walk on. It is that exciting, though. A real character in real books in real stores would have a different name if my parents had named me something else. So this is really cool!

I should probably admit that I've become a bit of a diva. After the book came out and I saw my name in print, I began to eye the characters with more page time. I even sent Sheila an email suggesting she name a larger character after me in her next book. She doesn't have to be the protagonist--a secondary character will do. I don't even care if she's good or evil--just so long as she's key to the plot.
Yeah, I guess the protagonist might be the way to go...

Maybe the new character should be a super hot, rich author who rules the New York Times Best Seller List.
Or...maybe I should leave Sheila alone, continue to be thrilled and honored about my walk on character, and work on my own writing. I can focus on honing my craft, finding an agent who will fall in love with my work, and being a strong critique partner for the ladies in my group. Then I can maybe get my full name on real books in real stores: on the cover.


If you'd like to see my other brush with Sheila-fame,
here is her book trailer for ON STRIKE FOR CHRISTMAS. We filmed it in 2007. I'm the one who is wrapping gifts with adorable kids buzzing around. The kids, by the way, aren't mine, though I promise mine are adorable, too. (I felt bad, pretending to be mad at my faux book trailer children, but they were little troopers and understood we were acting.)

P.S. - Ack! I just watched the trailer and I like my hair better in 2007. Of course, I was 2 1/2 years younger... I've been growing it out, but I'm thinking I may go back to my 2007 'do.

14 comments:

Tabitha Bird said...

LOL- I need someone to name something... anything after me!

Jennifer Shirk said...

Oh, that is COOL. You diva. :)

Karen said...

Oh, very fun!

destrella said...

It absolutley counts! Congrats :O)

Jody Hedlund said...

Very funny! I'm the same way! I'll take any moment of fame in any way!

Deb@RGRamblings said...

Great trailer and awesome of Sheila to give you a 'role' in her book - fun stuff!

Solvang Sherrie said...

How fun to be almost famous, more than once!

Kristen Torres-Toro said...

Haha! That's awesome! I'd be a diva too!

Lydia Sharp said...

That's awesome! I use names from people in my real life, too.

Tamika: said...

I love Diva's!

Dawn Simon said...

You guys are fun! :) And I'm totally not a diva in real life. Hey! Who got blue m&m's mixed in with my yellow ones? (Hee! Just messing.)

Lisa and Laura said...

LOVE the video! That's so fun! I want to star in a book trailer!

Michelle said...

So that make you now a famous diva - yhew :D

The romantic query letter and the happy-ever-after said...

It is always a thrill when a friend give us a gift so thoughtful that it warms our hearts. Sheila sounds like a lovely lady and I'm very happy you have been give this wonderful honour. I can't wait to see your name in full on the cover of your YA.
Warm regards,
Simone.