Friday, December 4, 2009

Holiday Cookie and Blog Swap

Cookie Swap:

Jennifer Shirk is doing a virtual cookie swap at her blog. Click over and read the rules! To enter, I need to post my favorite cookie recipe here on my blog, a recipe I would make for a cookie swap--and probably will this week!

The cookies I'm entering are sooo yummy. Let me warn you: these cookies are highly addictive. In my opinion, they're the best cookies this side of the Mississippi. And that side of the Mississippi. I'm not bragging because I didn't create the recipe--it's from Hershey's. (Usually, I don't even like to cook. This is one of the reasons my hubby says my species is
hotelus-restaurantus. The other reason is I hate camping but love hotels!)

Heeeeeere's the recipe!


Chocolate Dipped Toffee Bits Cookies

Ingredients:

*2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour

*1 teaspoon baking soda

*1/2 teaspoon salt

*1/2 cup (1 stick) butter or margarine, softened

*3/4 cup granulated sugar

*3/4 cup packed light brown sugar

*1 teaspoon vanilla extract

*2 eggs

*1-1/3 cups (8-oz. pkg.) HEATH BITS 'O BRICKLE Toffee Bits

*1-3/4 cups (10-oz. pkg.) HERSHEY'S MINI KISSES Brand Milk Chocolates [I can never find these, so I buy a 19.75-oz. pkg. of regular Hershey's Kisses, use half, and eat the difference]

*2 tablespoons shortening (do not use butter, margarine, spread, or oil)


Directions:

1. Heat oven to 350 F. Lightly grease cookie sheet.


2. Stir together flour, baking soda, and salt; set aside. Beat butter, granulated sugar, brown sugar, and vanilla in large bowl until well blended. Add eggs; beat well. Gradually add flour mixture, beating until well blended. Stir in toffee bits. Drop by rounded teaspoons onto prepared cookie sheet.


3. Bake 9 to 11 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool slightly; remove from cookie sheet to wire rack. Cool completely.


4. Line tray with wax paper. Place chocolate pieces and shortening in medium microwave-safe bowl. Microwave at MEDIUM (50%) 1 minute; stir. If necessary, microwave at MEDIUM an additional 15 seconds at a time, stirring after each heating, until chocolates are melted and mixture is smooth when stirred.


5. Dip about 1/3 of each cookie into melted chocolate. Shake gently and scrape cookie bottom on edge of bowl to remove excess chocolate. Place on prepared tray. Refrigerate until chocolate is firm, about 30 minutes. Store in cool, dry place with wax paper between layers of cookies. About 4 dozen cookies.



Blog Swap:


I'd like to direct you to two great blogs you may or may not have already discovered.


1. Artist/author
Nancy Coffelt has a blog named Because I Say So. I enjoy the art and the writing over there. I met Nancy at a workshop in 2007 where she was on the faculty. Among her successes is the picture book FRED STAYS WITH ME! It's a must read.

2. I recently started following
Glass Cases. It's a blog written by an assistant in the publishing industry named Sarah. I recommend you check out her very first post while you're over there. It's very cool.

If you want to participate in the cookie swap, go over to Jennifer's blog and check out the contest. Tell me if you enter! She has a prize and everything, so I'd like to know my odds. ;) If you want to participate in the blog swap, use the comments section to share the name of a writing/industry blog you enjoy!

9 comments:

Jennifer Shirk said...

Oh, my gosh, Dawn, my hubby will probably personally call and thank you. He LOVES toffee.

Thanks for entering!

Blog Swap:
I really enjoy Alexandra Sokoloff's blog: http://thedarksalon.blogspot.com/

Tabitha Bird said...

Those cookies... oh wow!

Blog swap- I love http://suzyhayze.blogspot.com/
and http://onwordsandupwards.blogspot.com/

AND HEAPS of others :)

Stacy Post said...

WOW, this recipe sounds fairly simple and yummy! Thanks for sharing!

Lydia Sharp said...

I am all over ANYTHING that has to do with cookies. :)

The Blog Swap is a great idea! Hard to pick just two favorites, though.

Writer Unboxed
Ask Allison

Tamika: said...

I love toffee! It's my second favorite after chocolate- but both would be heaven!

Solvang Sherrie said...

Sounds yummy, especially the part about eating the extra kisses :)

Abby Annis said...

What a cool idea for a contest! I'm headed over there next. Thanks for the link and the recipe!

Blog swap--I enjoy:
http://lesserkey.blogspot.com
http://rebeccaknightbooks.blogspot.com

Dawn Simon said...

In that case, Jennifer, I think your hubby should be one of the judges. ;) Thanks for the contest fun and for sharing a blog you enjoy!

Tabitha, they're sooo good. And there ARE so many great blogs, huh? :) Thanks for sharing two you love!

You're welcome, Stacy! Thanks for stopping by!

Same here, Lydia--I love cookies. Jennifer had such a great idea with this cookie swap! Thanks for the blog links!

Tamika, chocolate and toffee...mmm. When I made these for a Little League party a few years ago, they disappeared very quickly.

Sherrie, we can't let those extra kisses go to waste!

Abby, I'm glad you're entering too! Thanks for the links!

Suzyhayze said...

Nice idea! Thanks for coming by my blog. Good to know you!