Sunday, December 20, 2009

The End of the Year, "The End" on my WIP, and an Award

After a very late start this year, we finally pulled Christmas together at our house. The tree is up, the cards are mailed, and the gifts are purchased and wrapped. I even baked my Chocolate Dipped Toffee Bits Cookies tonight!

Most of our tree decorations are up high because our dogs have been destroying our ornaments. Ack! But...remember how cute they are.
Look at those little faces. And in their defense, they've been wound up because we have a naughty squirrel who lives in the yard and taunts them. We've named him Chester because he has a white chest and...well, he looks like a Chester. Think Bugs Bunny of the squirrel world: funny, clever, and hard to catch. I'll take a picture of him the next time I spot him tormenting my dogs through the windows. Ooh--maybe if I get the camera I'm hoping, hoping, hoping for, I'll snap a picture with that!


I finished the last chapter of my ultra-revised WIP and sent it to my critique group on Friday. Once I get the chapter back and revise accordingly, I'll give the full manuscript to an author friend who volunteered to read the whole thing. She's awesome and she's never seen more than three chapters, so she's a fresh set of professional eyes. Plus, you can catch different things when you read the full vs. one chapter at a time. In the meantime, I'll be goofing around with family, tweaking my synopsis and query letter, continuing my agent research, catching up on reading, doing research for my next manuscript, and spending way too much time eating Christmas cookies.
Now for the award part of the post! Thank you to Abby Annis for giving me the Honest Scrap Award. Abby has a wonderful blog, so check it out if you haven't yet.

This award has rules:

1. List ten honest things about yourself.

2. Pass it on to seven other bloggers.


Here are my ten honest things:
1. I love being a mom.
2. I'm red-green color blind.
3. I'm not good at singing, but I do it anyway. (My poor family--and dogs.)

4. I'm afraid of heights.

5. I don't like to eat meat when it looks like an animal. For example, when fish is served with a head and a tail or when pork has a head and still looks like a pig...blech. I know I'm immature this way, but generally I don't want my food to have a face. Of course, things like chocolate bunnies don't bother me. :)
6. Gap jeans are my favorites.

7. I'm a bit obsessive-compulsive, but I consider this a strength instead of an issue. Hee!

8. I've traveled a ton in the U.S., but I've done very little international travel. I'd love to go to Europe!

9. Geometry was my least favorite class EVER.

10. I'm a huge Beyoncé fan.


It's so hard to pick only seven bloggers for the award because there are so many fabulous blogs out there! I'll pass it to seven people who have never received an award from me but fully deserve a blog award:

1.
Bane of Anubis at Bane's Blogging Blues
2.
Karen at Novels During Naptime
3.
Kjersten Anna Hayes at Collage Clips
4.
Patti Nielson
5.
Paul Greci at Northwriter
6.
Sierra Godfrey
7.
Stasia Kehoe at Writer on the Side (if you write children's, you need to check out her "Business of Children's Books" posts)

Congratulations everyone!

Also, congrats to Lydia Sharp who has been selected as a guest blogger for Pimp My Novel. Her article "Ideas That Sell Are Not Always Groundbreaking" will be published on Tuesday, December 22nd.


I'd like to thank my followers for making the whole blog experience extra fun and meaningful! Thank you so much for following and making comments--I really appreciate it! You guys are great, and I wish incredible things for each of you in the new year! See you in 2010!

25 comments:

Roni @ FictionGroupie said...

Congrats on finishing up your WIP and on the award. :) Your dogs are frigging adorable. And I hear ya about geometry. I got one B in high school (yes, I was an OCD student) and it was in geometry. That darn class kept me from being valedictorian. Yes, I'm still bitter. ;)

Have a great holiday!

Rosslyn Elliott said...

I love those big, black noses on the dogs! Have a wonderful holiday!

Jennifer Shirk said...

Congrats on the award!
I'm making your cookie recipe tonight!
Merry Christmas!

Patti said...

Dawn: Thanks for the award. I'm no good at singing and hate heights as well.

Bane of Anubis said...

Thanks! I second the OCD being a good trait. I am a huge squirrel fan, so a part of me hopes that Chester keeps up his shenanigans.

As for places to go, I'd love to visit Europe (grew up a bit in England, but never visited the mainland). My fave place so far has been New Zealand. I'd recommend it to everyone.

Paul Greci said...

Congrats on finishing your WIP. And thank you for the Award!!

And, great photo of your dogs!!

Karen said...

Thanks, Dawn!

(And other than being color blind, I could have written every one of your truths. Three cheers for kindred spirits!)

Travener said...

Many congrats on finishing the W-no-longer-in-P. I liked geometry because you got to draw. Calculus is what killed me.

Sierra Godfrey said...

Thank you for the award, Dawn!! I love your doggies and I salute you for making those gorgeous cookies (which are arranged in a pleasing CD manner on the plate, I noticed!).

Can't wait to check out the other bloggers.

Tamika: said...

Wow, you really have a lot to be jolly about. THE END is the best Christmas present a girl could ask for!

Merry Christmas!

Dawn Simon said...

Thanks, Roni! That darn geometry...I totally understand the bitterness. While I was not a contender for class valedictorian, I had a painful experience with the second grade spelling bee. Like you, I've put it behind me. ;)

Rosslyn, they're cute little guys, aren't they?

Jennifer, yay! I thought of you and your fun cookie contest yesterday when I was baking them. I hope you enjoy them!

You're welcome, Patti. So you and I shouldn't go caroling together? ;)

Bane, you're welcome. How cool that you spent time growing up in England! You're lucky to have not only traveled but to have actually lived in different spots. Must be that Navy brat thing. Jim went to a couple places overseas, and we almost put in for Japan when he was in the Navy. New Zealand: noted. So Chester has a fan now? If I post his picture and you see how cute he is, the dogs will never get you on their side.

Paul, you're welcome. My daughter took that picture. :)

How neat that we're so much alike, Karen! (And you're welcome for the award.)

Travener, I laughed at the "W-no-longer-in-P" thing. Clever. And you liked geometry?! Wow. That class stressed me out so badly.

Sierra, you're welcome. Funny that you noticed my orderly cookies. ;)

Tamika, yeah, "the end" is definitely something worth celebrating. Merry Christmas to you, too!

The romantic query letter and the happy-ever-after said...

Felicitations on your award my dear and I'll be sure to pay a little visit to your nominees.
Also, I'm not good at singing, but I do it anyway, we rock.
Every happiness to you and yours this season and the year through.
Warmest regards,
Simone.

Deb@RGRamblings said...

Your dogs are adorable!! Congrats on the WiP and the award!

Kjersten said...

Thanks for the award, Dawn! Your dogs are so cute! I want to meet Chester too. If I were Chester I would go after one of those delicious looking cookies. Yummy.

Lydia Sharp said...

Sorry I'm late to the party (any cookies left?).

Congrats on the award! I've seen that one traveling about the blogs lately. Don't you just love those little pick-me-ups? ;)

And THANKS for linking me! That was truly an unexpected treat.

SWK said...

Hi Dawn. Congrats on "The End." What a great way to start the holidays. Love the dog photo--I am personally obsessed with photographing my dog and truly appreciate the quality canine pic. And, last but not least, thanks for the award! Have a Happy!

Dawn Simon said...

Thank you, Simone! :)

Thanks, Deb! I love the antler dog!

Kjersten, Chester has another fan?! (He is pretty darn cute.) You're welcome--I always enjoy your blog.

Lydia, the awards are total pick-me-ups. BTW, I read your article and it was great. Go Lydia!

Stasia, thanks! It's the perfect way to start the holidays. Your dog is adorable, too!

Natalie said...

I've never met someone red-green color blind before! That must be a little crazy around Christmas!

Merry Christmas Dawn! I hope it's lovely for you.

devonellington said...

Your dogs are sooooo cute! Absolutely adorable.

Trusted readers are such a wonderful gift -- they are a wonderful help before you send the book out there into the world.

Enjoy the holidays!

L. T. Host said...

Hi Dawn! Thanks for finding me, so I could find you, haha.

Those cookies look AMAZING. I am so wishing that the Willy Wonka TV thing was real right about now.

KM said...

Yay for finishing! I finished up the edits on my WIP over the break, as well. :)

Dawn Simon said...

Thanks, Natalie! I hope your Christmas was wonderful!

Devon, trusted readers are truly a gift. Thanks for visiting!

L.T., that Willy Wonka thing would be pretty cool! I'd go to lots of sites with chocolate!

KM, congrats on finishing! That's huge! And thanks for the visit!

Dawn Maria said...

Great news on getting to the end of a revision Dawn! I'm beginning the next round on mine as we speak. Have a Happy New Year!

Jen Chandler said...

Sorry it's taken me so long to get around! Technical difficulties got in the way.

Congrats on the award :) I hope your Christmas was a wonderful one and here's to a blessed and happy new year to you and yours!

Jen

Dawn Simon said...

Thanks, Dawn! Good luck with your revision! Happy New Year!

Thank you, Jen. I wish you the best in 2010 as well! :)