Sunday, November 8, 2009

SCBWI Western Washington's Weekend on the Water, Post 1

My brain is completely full tonight. It's still processing all the information I picked up at our fall retreat. Since Friday, my days have been jam-packed with editor workshops, friends, and food. I applied for this retreat last summer, and I'm so glad I did.

We gathered at the beautiful Alderbrook Resort on Hood Canal.



The amazing Jolie Stekly
, our Retreat Director, along with members of our Advisory Committee, put together an over the top weekend. I'm not sure how many writers were there--I think between fifty and sixty. We were divided into groups that circulated in and out of First Pages Intensives and workshops. The sessions were led by editors Cheryl Klein (Arthur A. Levine Books) and Ruta Rimas (Balzer + Bray).

Both editors worked at warp speed, hour after hour. And the attendees? We were working right along with them. The workshops were fabulously intense. The closest thing I can offer as proof: we were given a full tablet of paper upon our arrival. I had to go to my room yesterday between sessions to get the paper I'd brought from home because I only had one page left in my tablet by 10:15 am!


I'm breaking this into two posts, but I'll leave you with a picture from the weekend.


Kjersten Anna Hayes, Nina Hess, Jennifer Mann, and I at the beginning of the retreat
(We didn't mean to stand in alphabetical order, but I just realized we did. Are we talented writers or what?)

11 comments:

Lydia Sharp said...

That looks like a BEAUTIFUL retreat! Glad it's living up to your expectations. :)

Susan R. Mills said...

Sounds like a fun and imformative retreat. I can't wait to hear more about it.

Deb@RGRamblings said...

Wow, what an intense weekend -and such a beautiful location! Nice :)

Patti said...

Sounds like you had a great weekend at a beautiful location.

Tamika: said...

This place looks incredible! What a lovely way to intermingle with writers.

I can't wait to hear more!

Travener said...

I wanna go on a retreat! I don't even care if it's about writing, I wanna go on a retreat!

Hood Canal? Wasn't it raining like a son of a bitch the whole time?

Dawn Simon said...

Thanks for the comments, you guys. :)

Too funny, Travener. It rained some, but not the whole time. I hope you get to go on a retreat soon!

Roni @ FictionGroupie said...

Glad you had such a good time. The resort looks beautiful!

Solvang Sherrie said...

How fun! I met Joelie this summer in L.A. She has so much enthusiasm and she's so nice. Looks like a beautiful place for a retreat! I need one of those...

Dawn Simon said...

Sherrie, I'm totally impressed with Jolie. She's fun, full of energy, classy, and genuine. Plus, she's super organized. How cool that you went to L.A. this summer. I heard it was great!

Kjersten said...

Awesome picture, Dawn! And your posts on the weekend are great. I'm late checking in, but thank you! It was great to see you there.