Sunday, November 29, 2009

How Thanksgiving is Like Writing a Novel

I hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving! We did! My family spent the day at my brother Jeff's house.

Here's a picture of Jeff and me on Thanksgiving. He's the one on the left. ;)


Thursday morning, I was thinking about how Thanksgiving is like writing a novel. Some of my thoughts:

1. Before you begin cooking or writing, it's a good idea to make a list of what has to be done.


2. Turkeys, real or metaphorical, don't make good heroes. The exceptions: children's anthropomorphic books and maybe tragedies or horror if you really want to go there and think about Thanksgiving from the turkey's side of things.


3. You can't be afraid to get messy.


4. Remember caffeine for stamina.


5. You have to time everything right so it all finishes at once.


6. Dessert is always a good reward.


7. Whether we like it or not, first drafts
and post-Thanksgiving bodies are likely candidates for saggy middles.

8. It's ideal to have someone you trust help you clean up the mess.


9. Nothing gets wasted. At Thanksgiving, there are always left-overs. With writing, even the stuff you cut is useful to you as a writer because, at the very least, you learn from it.


10. We need to remember to be thankful for what we have and what we've accomplished with writing and with everything else.

26 comments:

Deb@RGRamblings said...

LOL! Nice analogy Dawn! Glad you had a good Thanksgiving. :)

Travener said...

I agree. That was very clever.

Terresa said...

I agree. Being grateful for what we've accomplished (thus far!) is the beginning of greatness.

Pass the dessert, a good reward sounds divine.

Paul Greci said...

A very cool analogy, and fun, too.
Turkeys don't make good heroes--lol.

Dawn Simon said...

Thanks, Deb! I liked your lightning rod metaphor on your most recent post.

Thanks, Travener!

Hi, Terresa! Yeah, one step at a time, right?

Thanks, Paul!

Solvang Sherrie said...

Excellent list!

I actually keep a file of my cut stuff. Sometimes a paragraph or two might make it back in, usually in a different spot.

And I always reward myself with dessert :)

Susan R. Mills said...

Nice analogy. Glad you had a good Thanksgiving.

Dawn Simon said...

Sherrie, I keep a file of cut stuff, too. Great minds, right? ;) I have a file for each WIP. It makes killing darlings a lot less scary.

Thanks, Susan!

Lydia Sharp said...

Nice post! And I love the pic.

Roni @ FictionGroupie said...

lol, great list. I love number 7!

Bane of Anubis said...

Great pic and great list.

Diane said...

Thanks for visiting me at dianeestrella.com and following. See ya soon! :O)

Dawn Simon said...

Thank you, Lydia!

Roni, the dreaded saggy middle... ;)

Thanks, Bane!

You're welcome, Diane. Thank you, too. BTW, I like how positive you always are when you comment on people's blogs. :)

Abby Annis said...

Love this, especially the saggy middles. ;)

Karen said...

Great list! I'd add...don't put it out until you're sure it's cooked all the way through (don't submit too soon). :)

Dawn Simon said...

Thanks, Abby!

Ooh, that's good, Karen! I've submitted too soon AND I've eaten food that wasn't properly cooked; both experiences ended badly. ;)

Jody Hedlund said...

Love that list, especially using the dessert as a reward!

Natalie said...

So funny Dawn! I loved the bit about saggy middles--it's funny cause it's true. :)

Jennifer Shirk said...

I LOVE this!! And yeah, definitley no turkeys for your heroes. LOL

Dawn Simon said...

Jody, I'm a huge fan of dessert.

Natalie, all this saggy middle talk is making me think I should go for a run. ;)

Thanks, Jennifer!

Nancy Coffelt said...

Hilarious, but so sadly true.

I'm working on too many saggy middles right now...

Dawn Simon said...

Nancy, I'm sure they'll turn out great! I'm a fan. :)

Shelli said...

i thanked you for my award on my blog finally! :)

Michelle said...

That was cool.
I've enjoyed having a read around your blog.
Will come back!

Kjersten said...

Love the saggy middle part! Too funny.

Dawn Simon said...

Thanks, Shelli. Your blog is awesome!

Thanks for visiting, Michelle!

Hi, Kjersten!