Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Eagle Harbor Book Company

November 7th was the very first National Bookstore Day. I thought today's post about a fabulous independent bookstore would be a tad bit late, but guess what? The Rejectionist says it is now Independent Bookstore Week in NYC, so I'm kind of right on time. Kind of not since most of my readers aren't in NYC (and neither am I, for that matter), but let's not get all technical about it. As my mother never said, "Details-schmetails."

Before we get to the photos I took there, I should let you know my camera is dying so my pictures make everything look darker. Good news: I've asked for a new camera for Christmas. Since I've been pretty good this year, I'm thinking I'll get one and my blog will become a thing of beauty, lol.



This is Eagle Harbor Book Company, an independent bookstore in Bainbridge Island, Washington. In real life, it's bright and cozy, so I hope my pics do it justice.

This is the children's section, a place I'll never outgrow.
















Here's the YA section. I fantasize about seeing my future books here.












There's always fun stuff going on at Eagle Harbor Book Company. Just check out their
Web site. The people who work there are so warm and knowledgeable. Some of the workers are writers--published even. Their love for books is a sincere one.


Oodles of authors come to speak and do readings here. I hope to someday. Let's all take a minute to have a positive visualization: can you picture me standing by those chairs at a book signing? Come on, I'd do it for you!

While I was there, I found out about
America Unchained, which will take place on Saturday, November 21st. It's about spending your money at locally-owned independent businesses to help your local economy. On America Unchained Day, Eagle Harbor Book Company will celebrate being locally owned and fiercely independent by offering 10% off any book by a Bainbridge author. How cool is that?

In today's comments, give a shout out for an independent bookstore that's in your heart!


*My friend
Sheila Roberts has a "Random Good Deeds Happy Holidays Contest" going on at her Web site. They will be drawing three people to receive a set of two of Sheila's books, and she'll sign them to whomever the winners would like! I entered this morning!


(This is an updated post.)

12 comments:

wcwk (When Celebrities Were Kids) said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Tabitha Bird said...

Beautiful bookstore. Ic an see you sitting in those chairs signing copies of your book too :)

Susan R. Mills said...

You know, sad to say, but all the independent book stores around here have closed down, so I don't have one to give a shout out to. Great post.

Dawn Simon said...

Thanks, Tabitha! :)

Susan, that is sad--and kind of scary.

Solvang Sherrie said...

I love Bainbridge Island! Bummer I didn't get to visit this book store when I was there.

I love my local indie, The Book Loft. I wrote an article about them for The Shrinking Violets and I've blogged about them before.

I was just in there Sunday buying a gift and the owner GAVE me two books, ARCS no less! You have to love a store that gives you things!

Shelli said...

nice kids area! lov e the comfy chair

Karen said...

Oooh, that looks like my kind of bookstore! :)

Roni @ FictionGroupie said...

Looks like a cozy store. There aren't any independents I can think of out here except for the used bookstores. The big fish have eaten up the small.

Kjersten said...

Yay for village books! Great post, Dawn!

Dawn Simon said...

Sherrie, small world, huh? I'm glad you have The Book Loft!

Shelli, the kids area is super fun!

Karen, it has a lot of heart, doesn't it?

Roni, it's definitely cozy. Picture it on a rainy, Washington day! I'm sorry to hear there aren't any indies near you.

Thanks, Kjersten. And thanks for the follow!

Stephanie Faris said...

I love independent bookstores...unfortunately there seem to be less and less of them. The only ones around here are used bookstores.

Tamika: said...

I glimpse you sitting in that bookstore surrounded by adoring readers.

Happily scribbling your name on each book.