Tuesday, October 27, 2009

A Blog Award and an Intro to my Critique Group

To start off, Stephanie Faris gave me the Humane Award. It was so nice to receive, and I've already added it to my sidebar. Thanks so much, Stephanie!

Now I get to pass it! I'm giving it to:


1.
Deb at Ranch Girl Ramblings
2.
Tamika at The Write Worship
3.
Lydia Sharp at The Sharp Angle
4.
Natalie Bahm
5.
Corey Schwartz at Thing 1 and Thing 2
6.
Rosslyn Elliot at Inkhorn Blue
7.
Beth at This Mommy's Life

Congrats!

Other than that, I thought I'd talk a bit about my critique group. Not counting our mentor,
Sheila Roberts, there are four of us: Bev Young, Martha Schoemaker, Sarah Shepard, and me. Sarah and Sheila met at the pool, but the rest of us already knew each other through Field's End. We formed a critique group after taking a twelve-week class Sheila had taught that focused on the first three chapters of a novel. (We knew we had a good thing going so we asked Sheila if she'd consider taking us beyond the first three chapters. Fortunately for us, she said yes!)

Twice a month we meet at Sheila's house where she babies us and feeds us amazing things she has baked. Have I told you we love her? After a couple minutes of tea and chatting, we get rolling with our chapter critiques. The critiques, brainstorming, and writing talk are
why we formed a critique group, but the food is definitely a benny!

On the non-Sheila weeks, we meet and critique each other's work. Here's a picture of us last week at a cafe.



Sarah, Martha, and me







Bev couldn't make it, but you'd like her. Everybody likes Bev. She's a wonderful lady who adds a lot to our group. Since I write kidlit and have a teaching background, I should mention she has a PhD in Education with an emphasis in Children's Literature.

We have fun, and we appreciate each other's support and time. As we all know, the road to publication (and beyond!) is a long one; how nice to go on the journey with friends.

16 comments:

Eileen Astels Watson said...

Writing friends are who keep us going when the humdrums hit and splinter our resolve. Critique buddies are definitely the best. Glad you've such a great group. I'm lucky to have a great group too.

Congrats on the award from Steph, and all the recipients you chose!

Rosslyn Elliott said...

Thanks so much! I appreciate the honor.

Your group sounds great! I have a good one too. They're very helpful and supportive.

Deb@RGRamblings said...

Thanks Dawn-love it :)

You're so lucky to have such a wonderful group. No wonder you're always smiling in your photos!

Lydia Sharp said...

Thanks, Dawn!

I'm semi-jealous that you have a "live person" critique group. There is nothing like that near where I live. You guys look SO happy in that picture.

--
word verification: nonflu

Ha! Looks like I'm not the only one who's SICK of hearing about the umpteen different flu viruses that are going to kill us all.

Tamika: said...

Dawn, now that I have finished screaming through my house with my three year old.. *Deep breath* Thank you!

I am still in serious prayer for a critique group. This is a wonderful support organism that every writer should have.

Happy writing!

Roni @ FictionGroupie said...

Congrats on the award! And thanks for sharing your crit group with us. I'm jealous of the food. An online group definitely lacks baked goods. :)

Jody Hedlund said...

Oh wow! Am I jealous! What a blessing that you have real life writing friends that can be your crit partners!

Dawn Simon said...

Thanks for the comments. You guys are sweet. :) I really do feel fortunate to have such a great critique group.

Corey Schwartz said...

Oh, wow. Your group sounds awesome. Thanks for the award!

Susan R. Mills said...

Congrats to all!

Crit groups are the best. I haven't had the pleasure of meeting them in person, but the relationship is priceless.

Deb@RGRamblings said...

Blame my excitement for this lapse--Congrats on the award!!! BTW- Hop on over to my blog to pick something up...

Natalie said...

Thanks Dawn! And congratulations. I am envious of your real life critique group! Mine is 100% virtual (I've never met any of my writing group members in person) but they are wonderful anyway.

Jennifer Shirk said...

Oh, that's great! Sounds like you met some great writing friends! (And yeah, the food is a BIG benny) :)

Shannon Messenger said...

Okay, I just found your blog today and I had to say hi and tell you how much I appreciated this post. I've been a little reluctant to join a critique group (I had some annoying experiences with them back in college) but now I feel motivated to try again. Obviously good critique groups can be had!

Anyway, I hope you don't mind that I'm following your blog now...

Dawn Simon said...

Yeah, critique groups are sooo important, whether they're in person or online. The constructive feedback, support, and camaraderie are priceless when you find a good match.

Hi, Shannon, and thank you! Of course I don't mind. Followers make me happy. :)

Dawn Maria said...

I'm going to join the jealous chorus. I have some wonderful writing friends, but am not in a group. You lucky ducks!