Tuesday, September 22, 2009

What I'm Reading

Instead of kicking off What I'm Reading with Frappuccinos, let's get it started with other good stuff: flowers, brownies, and why my kids rock. :)

When my daughter and my husband were out running errands last weekend, my daughter wanted to bring me flowers
just because. These are the ones she picked out for me.



She knows I love orange. Aren't they beautiful?


On Sunday, my son volunteered to bake something for my critique group meeting on Monday
just for fun. How sweet is that? He made Mini Brownie Cups from a Hershey's cookbook.



They had a mocha glaze, and he added chocolate shavings to be creative. OMG, people. If love has a flavor, I think I've found it.

Okay, now. Let's get all literary...




I just started GRACELING by Kristin Cashore, and so far it's soooo good! After the premise, the writing itself was the first thing to grab me. I immediately noticed and liked her verb choices in the very first chapter. Does it mean I need to get out more when verbs get me wound up? Probably, but let's not dwell on that.

I'm only on page 110, and I'm glad it's not a short book--it has 471 pages to savor. Don't let that discourage you if you're in the mood for a quick read. I usually enjoy reading books slowly, but I'm flying through this one. It definitely has an addictive quality.


The reason I picked up GRACELING is it's a suggested read for a workshop I'll be attending in November. Now I'm suggesting it to you!


Your turn.
What are you reading?

13 comments:

Natalie said...

Specials by Scott Westerfeld and Wings by Aprilynne Pike. The jury is still out on both of them. I'll have to look up Graceling.

storyqueen said...

I'm trying out the Percy Jackson series by Rick Riordan. Lots of buzz, to I had to check it out.

shelley

Strange Fiction said...

Flowers, chocolate, and a good book! Sounds like heaven to me. I'll have to put Graceling on my to be read list.

Lazy Writer said...

I'll add it to my list. Thanks for sharing.

Dawn VanderMeer said...

Natalie, I hope you enjoy it as much as I do! :)

StoryQueen, I've only read the first one so far, but I loved it! I'll definitely go back for more. My son discovered the Percy Jackson books long before I did, and I told him I would just read the first one. He told me there's no way I'd be able to stop at just one. He's right. They're like potato chips that way.

D.L., you're absolutely right! What a great combination!

Susan, I'm definitely enjoying it!

Rosslyn Elliott said...

Hi Dawn,

I like your blog! I appreciate your comment in this post about noticing the verb choices in Graceling. I tend to choose books by picking them up and opening them to a random middle point to see if I like the word choice and sentence structure. It's nice to find someone else who likes words. :-)

Dawn VanderMeer said...

Rosslyn, thank you so much! I figured other writers would understand the verb thing. :)

Vivian said...

Your children are awesome! Glad you like Graceling!

Dawn Maria said...

I just started Geraldine Brooks MARCH. The writing is amazing. I am not a fan of LITTLE WOMEN, even as a girl I couldn't stomach it, so I'm curious to see the March girls from the lens of their father.

Stephanie Faris said...

You have awesome children!!!

Dawn VanderMeer said...

Thanks, Vivian! I finished GRACELING today, and I really enjoyed it.

Dawn, I haven't read MARCH, but it sounds interesting.

Thank you, Stephanie! I'm hardly unbiased, but they really are awesome. :)

Jennifer Shirk said...

Oh, how sweet! What a great family!

I'm reading The Writer's Journey by Chris Vogler and next I'm going to start Meg Cabot's Allie Finkle's Rules for Girls.

Dawn VanderMeer said...

Thanks, Jennifer. :)

I love THE WRITER'S JOURNEY! We constantly refer to it at crit group, and we all went to hear Vogler speak a few years back. He's great! I haven't yet read ALLIE FINKLE'S RULES FOR GIRLS, but I'm a huge Meg Cabot fan. I'm addicted to THE PRINCESS DIARIES.