Monday, September 28, 2009

Filling in the Gaps

Although I'm constantly reading, there are so many great books that I've missed. While I read ROMEO AND JULIET and OTHELLO two or three times each, I never hit A MIDSUMMER NIGHT'S DREAM. (I saw the play, but that totally doesn't count.) I read 1984 in high school in 1984, but I never read ANIMAL FARM.

Moonrat keeps us posted on something several people are participating in called Project Fill-in-the-Gaps. I love that; it's comforting to know even editors have missed classics. Participants create individual lists of 100 books they haven't read yet, and they set goals, a time line, and everything! It's a great idea, and I applaud those who are doing it.

Are any of you Project Fill-in-the-Gaps participants? I'm not (at least not yet) because I'm a wimp. I'm on the OCD side, and the thought of an official to-be-read list that's 100 books long is still a bit daunting to me--especially since I'm trying to keep up with new titles too. But aren't we all?! I'm still considering signing up; it sounds super fun! I'll let you know if I jump in on it.


In the meantime, I'm working on my own unofficial list, checking off some of the great books or plays that got away. Number one on my list, which I'll start reading tonight, is THE OUTSIDERS by S.E. Hinton.



I read and write YA, yet I never read THE OUTSIDERS, the book that many people consider to be the first YA book ever. Wow. Now that I've confessed this, I'm hoping all of you will still respect me in the morning. Of course, I'll have started it by morning, so please be lenient with your opinions of me. Tee-hee!

I'm sure all of us have books that got away. What are some of yours? Come on...you can tell me. ;)

9 comments:

Lydia Sharp said...

I've never read The Outsiders, but my husband did when he was in school, and it's still one of his all time favorites. So is the movie.

Making up a list of 100 is a bit scary, to be honest. I do have a Yet-2-B-Read list, but many of the titles on there are newer (within the past year).

Natalie said...

I read The Outsiders for the first time a year ago. It is a great read-- you'll enjoy it. I actually haven't read 1984 or The Scarlet Letter even though both are usually taught in high school, so I should probably read those.

Strange Fiction said...

A list of 100 does seem a little daunting. I haven't read The Outsiders but I do have a copy sitting on a bookshelf, I'll have to pull it out soon.

Rosslyn Elliott said...

I also haven't read The Outsiders. Sigh. So many books, so little time. :-) A friend has told me that I must read Snow Falling on Cedars, so that may be next.

Bane of Anubis said...

I haven't read TO either. Not a huge fan of 1984, but loved Animal Farm.

Dawn VanderMeer said...

Lydia, I keep hearing about how great THE OUTSIDERS is; I'm excited to sit down and read it. Regarding Project Fill-in-the-Gaps, it doesn't have to be classics, from my understanding. I agree that it seems a bit scary. I'm a list maker, but I'm not ready to write down 100 to-be-reads. At least not yet. It's such a cool idea, though.

Natalie, THE SCARLET LETTER is another one on my unofficial list.

D.L., let me know when you read it!

Rosslyn, SNOW FALLING ON CEDARS is sooo good! David Guterson lives near here, and he helped start a local writers' community, Field's End.

B of A, it's actually nice to hear other writers haven't read TO yet. I'm looking forward to ANIMAL FARM after I read a few more modern books. I'm trying to balance the old with the new. BTW, very cute dog. :)

FictionGroupie said...

Oh there are so many. I've missed a lot of classics. Never read Wuthering Heights, The Great Gatsby, etc. But I have heard of the fill in the gaps project, that is pretty cool. I think they say you should read at least a hundred books in your genre, so I've thought about getting a list of the best romances from the last few decades and trying to cover some of those. I think I'm pretty good on number of YA, I've always read that. The Outsiders is a great book, hope you enjoy.

Stephanie Faris said...

Wait...The Outsiders? The first YA book? I thought YA books went all the way back before I was born. You want to hear something scary? I think I've read The Outsiders, but I can't remember anything about it. I remember parts of the movie...but not much. I think my brain just spits out information to make way for new stuff.

storyqueen said...

My list of unread classics is soooo embarrassing. I can't even say the titles, but one of the author's initials are J.A. and every girl in the world has read her books....but me.


Shelley