Sunday, August 16, 2009

This and That

I have a mix of items to share tonight...

Congratulations to
Jolie Stekly and Sara Easterly who together won the SCBWI Member of the Year Award at the SCBWI Summer Conference in LA last week! Woo-hoo! They have done so much for our region, it's incredible. I think every faculty member at our 2008 conference commented on how uber organized our conference was. While Jolie and Sara were Co-Regional Advisors and Conference Directors, they did amazing things like putting together a keynote panel with all four recipients of the 2007 Newbery awards (one joined us via teleconference). Take a bow, ladies. You deserve it.

Last Friday,
Nathan Bransford linked to a post by Libba Bray that completely cracked me up. It's awesome. Seriously. Click on it and come back. I'll wait right here... Hi, again. Okay, even if you're like me and you don't have your first book deal YET, can't you already totally relate? Aaah! Good thing I love writing so dang much--a
nd feel this is what I'm meant to do. Besides, isn't this THE coolest industry ever?! Oh, yeah. It is.

I'll end with a photo I'll call "Summer Daze". Here's Thistle this afternoon making the most of the dog days of summer. Goofball.


3 comments:

Lazy Writer said...

Thanks for the link. I needed a good laugh on this rainy, Monday morning!

Jody Hedlund said...

Hi Dawn,

Thanks for swinging by my blog today! I love the title of your blog! Very original! Hope to see you around and get to know you better!

Dawn VanderMeer said...

I'm glad you liked it, too, Susan. It's raining in Kansas, eh? We had rain here last week, and August is usually one of our dry months.

Welcome, Jody! Yeah, I'll definitely be stopping by your blog. And I'm so curious about your news--and crossing fingers for you!