Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Some Books I've Loved

Being a list maker by nature, I decided to make a list of some of the books I've loved. They're from various genres (though I didn't include picture books), and each book has touched me in some way. It's not a big list--it's what first came to mind when I decided to write down books that have stuck with me, forcing me to think of them months or years after reading them. I'll write them here in no particular order.

*THE PRINCESS DIARIES by Meg Cabot

*THE SECRET GARDEN and A LITTLE PRINCESS by Frances Hodgson Burnett

*CHARLOTTE'S WEB by E.B. White

*DAVID COPPERFIELD by Charles Dickens

*THE CHRONICLES OF NARNIA by C.S. Lewis

*Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling

*NICK & NORAH'S INFINITE PLAYLIST by Rachel Cohn and David Levithan

*THE BOYFRIEND LIST by E. Lockhart

*Twilight series by Stephenie Meyer

*TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD by Harper Lee

*A PAINTED HOUSE by John Grisham

*AWAY by Amy Bloom

*THE HOBBIT by J.R.R. Tolkien

*SAVING JULIET by Suzanne Selfors

*A TREE GROWS IN BROOKLYN by Betty Smith

*THE GRAPES OF WRATH by John Steinbeck

*PRIDE AND PREJUDICE by Jane Austen

*THE WEDNESDAY WARS by Gary D. Schmidt

*THE LIGHTNING THIEF by Rick Riordan

I'm kind of surprised so many are not modern, but I guess it makes sense. I loved reading CHARLOTTE'S WEB, for example, as a child and as an adult, but it's so much more to me than a good--or even amazing--read; it was one of the first books that inspired me to be a writer, way back in elementary school. Right now, more books are coming to mind, mostly classics, but I won't add them since I didn't think of them when I initially wrote the list..


If I could only write something that later ends up on some other writer's list...


What books have you loved?

9 comments:

Lazy Writer said...

I loved all of S.E. Hinton's books, and the Chronicles of Narnia back when I was a kid. And I still love them now!

FictionGroupie said...

I loved the Narnia books and A Secret Garden as well. My other favorites are The Wrinkle In Time series by Madeleine L'Engle and The Neverending Story by Michael Ende. Plus anyting by Judy Blume or Roald Dahl.

My newer YA pick would be the Mortal Instruments series by Cassandra Clare.

Dawn VanderMeer said...

Susan, did you see Nathan Bransford's interview with S.E. Hinton? It was on May 14th. I enjoyed it!

FictionGroupie, I loved A WRINKLE IN TIME as a kid and as an adult! I didn't think of that one. And anything Judy Blume! It's fun to read our childhood faves later as a writer, isn't it? I'll have to hit THE MORTAL INSTRUMENTS.

Jody Hedlund said...

You've hit a lot of my favorites too. Unfortunately, I didn't read many of the children's classics until I was an adult and reading them to my children. I know my mom probably tried, but I wasn't interested. Now, as I read them I can't believe I didn't listen to her!

Dawn VanderMeer said...

Jody, I know what you mean. I've read lots of great books, but I've missed so many others. Some are children's, some are not. I plan to chip away at my list of books that got away.

Dawn Maria said...

It's hard to nail down favorite books, I love so many. But if I limit it to those who gave me a huge emotional reaction that still is with me today, I can narrow it down to Alice Walker's THE COLOR PURPLE and Anita Diamont's THE RED TENT.

For YA, as kid I loved Lois Duncan and Richard Peck. In fact, I still buy their books.

Thanks for visiting my blog Dawn. It's always fun to meet another writer with a great name! : )

Dawn VanderMeer said...

Dawn, I loved THE COLOR PURPLE and THE RED TENT. I think my list is so huge because I'm a sap.

KC Neal said...

Ooo, great list! (I'm a compulsive list-maker myself.) I don't think I'd be able to do this - there are just too many! I'm going to take a few of yours for my reading list, though. :)

Dawn VanderMeer said...

KC, glad I helped you get a few to add to your list! :)