Sunday, August 2, 2009

PNWA Conference 2009, Part I

The PNWA Conference was last weekend, and it was great! I learned new things, made new friends, and created new memories with old friends. One of the best parts of going to a good conference is I always walk away bursting with inspiration. It's such an exciting industry. I love it!

Regarding the literary contest, I didn't place. That's ok
ay, though. Really. Being one of eight finalists in the YA category is still huge to me. I pinned my finalist ribbon to a corkboard above my desk for extra inspiration.

Here are some pictures from the night of the awards dinner. The first one (left) is a pic of Martha Schoemaker and me on our way to the ceremony. I'm with my hubby in the photo to the right. He joined me for the dinner and said he liked getting a peek into the writing world. He's soooo supportive.











A picture of each finalist was shown on a screen during the ceremony. A friend took a picture of mine (above) and sent it to me. The reason I'm posting it here isn't because I think I'm "all that". I just want to share it because I thought it was exciting to get to be a part of it all.
(And yes, I used my blog photo.)

The keynote speaker Thursday night was Terry Brooks. One of the many books he's written is the novelization of STAR WARS EPISODE I: THE PHANTOM MENACE. I bought a copy for a Star Wars fan I know, and I asked Mr. Brooks to autograph it. I even got a picture taken with him.

I'm cutting the conference into two posts to try and keep them bite-sized--or at least snack-sized. More next time!

4 comments:

BJW said...

Love this Dawn! Look forward to the next installment.

Congratulations again for being a top eight finalist. What a well-deserved honor. That makes me smile about your finalist ribbon up above your desk. And quite a supportive husband too. Don't know what I'd do without Amy helping me through all this stuff.

Dawn VanderMeer said...

Thanks, Ben. You're so nice!

I went to your blog yesterday and saw you broke your last conference into chunks too! Great minds... Hee! It just makes sense, doesn't it? We get home with so much to digest.

Yay for Amy and Jim! Seriously. I don't know what I'd do, either.

Lazy Writer said...

How fun! Congrats on being a finalist. That's quite an accomplishment.

Dawn VanderMeer said...

Thanks, Lazy Writer. And thanks for "returning my follow". I get so excited when I get a new follower! Yesterday, Lazy Writer had an interesting post (including the comments) about blogging/commenting/following.