Saturday, August 29, 2009

My WIP

I'm currently revising my WIP. I thought it was finished then realized it could use more polishing. That's when things got complicated.

None of the changes are huge. The biggest one by far is combining two minor characters into one to make sure my minor characters are fully pulling their weight. I've been working away at that, but a new problem surfaced at critique group because of my character melding. It's very small, but it means I'm back to an early chapter, tweaking details that will have to be combed all the way through my manuscript. And did I mention that the problem is a "darling" that has to be snuffed out? *sigh*

Sheila
(the author who leads our critique group) said it fit before, but "the story is shifting". I know she's right. I identified said problem at home last week, but I tried to ignore it and told myself it was fine. You can't blame a girl for trying, right? I did carry on a bit at critique group, pretending to look for sharp objects to thrust myself onto, but that was just because I felt like being dramatic. I'm over it. Really.


My friend
George Shannon compares books to puzzles, and I totally see them that way too. If you change the shape of just one piece, you'll have to change other pieces to make it all fit together.

So I'm still revising, which is a bit aggravating. But I look forward to working on and completing the puzzle again. Especially the completing part.
:)

8 comments:

BJW said...

Ooh snuffing a darling? good for you.

RIP Darling.

Good luck with your puzzling Dawn. I think I know how you feel.

Press on.

Lazy Writer said...

Oh, I know exactly how you feel! It's a lot of work to make those kinds of revisions. And, by the way, I lie to myself all the time to avoid having to do it, but in the end, the truth always comes out! Your work will be better because of it, though.

Dawn VanderMeer said...

Ben, thank you for your support. Maybe it'll now be easier to whack my little precious. ;) BTW, I found your "Who's Jon Scieszka?" over at Kirby Larson's to be quite humorous.

Susan, thanks for the empathy. Yeah, hiding behind the easy way never works for me, either. I'll be glad, I know--I want my work to shine and be the best I can make it. You're absolutely right. And I'm glad I'm not the only one who has tried the whole lying to myself maneuver. ;)

Strange Fiction said...

Good luck on the revisions! I've got some on the back burner...

Jeannie Campbell, LMFT said...

i'm right there with you! lovely new blog, by the way!

jeannie
Where Romance Meets Therapy

Dawn VanderMeer said...

Thanks, Strange Fiction! Good luck with your revisions, too, when the time comes.

Jeannie, thanks! I just checked out your blog, and I like it!

storyqueen said...

Hi Dawn,

Thanks for stopping by my blog!

I hate the revision stage of writing. It is the hardest part because the most is at stake. You have already put a lot of your heart and soul into a book, not to mention a bajillion hours. Now you have the task of making it all work out. Well. Actually, not just well. You have to make it shine.

Give me a blank page to start a first draft any day!

Good luck!

Shelley

Dawn VanderMeer said...

Shelley,

You sooo get it. Thanks for the good wishes.

Again, congrats on finishing! You're smart to put your manuscript away for a few weeks. Good luck to you, too!