Monday, June 8, 2009

My Blog is Born...

And it’s about time. I became fired up about starting a blog in February when my regional Society of Children’s Book Writers & Illustrators (SCBWI WWA) had a professional series meeting educating us on this very topic. That night—or morning, technically, since it was about two a.m.—I got out of bed and jotted down possible topics I could write about. But then I sat on the idea. I had my new novel to work on, and I decided I should wait for my first book deal.

A few weeks ago, I had the opportunity to meet Nathan Bransford, a literary agent at Curtis Brown, Ltd. whose blog has a huge following. He is so nice, as one would guess from reading his posts and comments, and he suggested I start blogging sooner rather than later. Well, who am I to argue with Nathan Bransford?! Besides, I know it will be lots of fun, and I love connecting with other writers. I decided to e-mail Holly Cupala, an internet-savvy YA author from SCBWI WWA. After a warm and helpful response from Holly, here I am. Or here it is. It’s a... bouncing, baby blog!



What will I do here? Most of my posts will focus on my day to day thoughts and ruminations about writing and books. While I’m merely an aspiring YA novelist, I’ve been dedicating serious time and energy to my writing for six years. I plan to offer tidbits and opinions on some of what I’ve already absorbed, knowing I have so much more to learn along the way. I’ll share experiences and even conduct the occasional author interview. Of course, all my writing projects change and grow as they develop. I assume this one will be no exception.

7 comments:

Sheila Roberts said...

Congratulations on the new baby!

Dawn VanderMeer said...

Thanks, Sheila!

Beverly said...

This is so AWESOME Dawn! We are sooo proud of you!

holly cupala said...

Congrats on your new blog, Dawn! It's great to see you out here. I will gladly be sucked to the dark side - especially if there are cookies!

Dawn VanderMeer said...

Thanks, Beverly and Holly! How fun that you stopped by!

Cuppa Jolie said...

Hey Dawn! So nice to run into you the other day. Did I seem overwhelmed by my first trip in over a month to the other side of the canal? Congrats on the new arrival. It will be a bouncing bundle of fun!

Dawn VanderMeer said...

Hi, Jolie!

It was nice to see you too. You didn't look overwhelmed, even though I ambushed you in line. I was so excited to talk blog!

Thanks for the positive thoughts!